We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fijian villages

Yigo, Mariana...
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Fijian villages

Our best experience that we had in Fiji was visiting a Fijian village. I won't tell you which one, we went to but it was amazing. The family we visited spent an entire Saturday sharing their culture. We had lunch together and my wife partook in the Kava ceremony. The Kava ceremony was unlike anything you will see in town or at a resort. We were invited to the village after visiting with local Fijians on their own turf for three days. If you want to experience a true Fijian village this is the way to do it, not through paying a resort to take you to an acting village.

If you go make sure you talk to your friend who is inviting you into the village about appropriate dress and what you need to bring. The family asked for nothing but I wish I would have brought a proper gift (instead I donated $50 FJD to the family which is a lot, but for the experience I got it's nothing). If you are going to bring anything, bring something practical. The village may or may not have electricity. Many children do their homework by candlelight in the small villages.

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Swan Hill, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
577 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fijian villages

Totally agree. We met a guy who invited us back to his village and we saw the "real Fiji". We took balloons for the children, and also pencils, crayons and other stationery. (we also left a donation for the village).

We also went on a tour to another village and this too was an amazing experience - we took part in the Kava ceremony and they made us lunch too. We were then able to mingle with the villagers, visit the school classrooms and relax.

We learnt alot about village life from both the arranged tour, and from our new village friend. Walk up the beach from your resort and you might find tours run by villagers....rather than booking one run through by the resort. We did...they are cheaper and more genuine.

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,708 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fijian villages

They are the most friendly people and very proud of their heritage I agree a village/school visit is a must. Another very worthwhile thing to do is to visit Treasure House Orphanage in Nadi just down the road toward Nadi town on the left past Macdonalds . Open in the afternoons these beautiful children really love having visitors and so many people just drive on past not even knowing this place exists.

Mentioned in this post
Nadi
Nadi
Viti Levu, Fiji
3. Re: Fijian villages

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2012, 23:15
Get answers to your questions about Savusavu