We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What I wish I would have known before my visit

Yigo, Mariana...
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
What I wish I would have known before my visit

Savusavu is a nice little town right on the bay. You can see everything you may want to in about 2 days which gives you time to eat at the different restaurants. If you are going to stay longer than you want to get to know some of the people. We frequented Una's massage at Hidden Paradise Guesthouse (as in the wife and I got 3 massages each in 4 days). She charged around half as much as the resorts and from talking to other people she and Meliki (her student) are the best in town. We also found out where the best "off trail" spots were while waiting for each other to finish their massage.

If you are going to set up any events and have extra space in your baggage it may pay to ask the people who you set stuff up with what they would like you to bring. Because of the location many expats who run tour operations/dive shops can't get things or there is a huge tariff on them. We brought in 3 bottles of rum and 1 bottle of Champaign. If I would have talked to people I would have ended up bringing in some real mayonnaise etc. We tipped with rum because it costs around $60 FJD a liter there. If you want any scotch bring it in, a $50 FJD bottle on Guam costs $256 FJD in Savusavu. If you're a granola bar eater bring them along as they are expensive in the local grocery

Plan on all the shops only being open from 0830-1700, if you want to grab anything for breakfast buy it early and stash it in your pack.

If you are willing to take a walk on the wild side, don't make your room reservation before you arrive. While we were there in June there were plenty of available rooms in town. Many of the guesthouses do not have websites and the phone numbers may not work. Get there and tell your Taxi driver that you need a place to stay. Ask the taxi driver how much it's going to cost before you go somewhere, they don't get paid a lot (from my calculations most take home around $15K FJD a year) so an extra $.50 means something to them and they'll ask for it.

Get some FJD before you get there or have your Taxi driver stop by the ATM.

My shorts while there was a sulu, it's the Fijian equivalent of a kilt. I bought mine at Zolanki because I liked the pinstripes they had. I paid $20 FJD which was a little on the high side. I was taught how to wear it properly and did so. It kept me cool on my walks around town and was fashionable Fiji wear.

1. Re: What I wish I would have known before my visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 19:18
Get answers to your questions about Savusavu