We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunbeds/Shacks: An Optimistic View!

Hoi An, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Sunbeds/Shacks: An Optimistic View!

I have been watching with great interest the many threads on the confusing sunbed/shack situation. Interested because in one week’s time we shall be heading over to Agonda for 3½ months. Interested because we spend most of our holiday time on the beach within easy reaching distance of a shack.

Having lived in Turkey for almost 16 years, we have had a wealth of experience of local and national government making announcements almost out of the blue which, at first light, appear to affect visitors and ex-pats alike.

One such announcement concerning tourist visas sent all foreigners into panic. Many expats considered moving to Bulgaria. Some even visited the country to see if it was a more acceptable option! Then there was the health insurance scheme which was very welcome but was launched with confusion, misunderstandings and conflicting information on relevant forums,

Years ago, the mayor and governor in our town had a disagreement and for a temporary period alcoholic drinks couldn’t be served at restaurant tables set out on the side of the road next to the sea. Believe it or not police officers came round each evening checking tourists’ drinks for any sign (or smell) of alcohol, many visitors saying they would not be spending a holiday here again.

Oh, by the way, that was before all the extremely popular and well-frequented restaurants by the sea edge were demolished, never to return!

But do you know, all these problems sorted themselves out in their own good time to the complete (well almost!) satisfaction of everyone – short and long-term holiday visitors and ex-pats alike.

So having had experience of similar concerns we are looking forward to this year’s holiday in Goa being even better than last and will certainly lose no sleep over the ongoing sunbed/shack situation. Been there; done that; got the t-shirt. And survived!

Level Contributor
1,138 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunbeds/Shacks: An Optimistic View!

there is no doubt it will sort it self out in the long run however a good number of us are more interested in the sort term namly the efect it will have on our 2 or 3 week holiday this season

Hoi An, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunbeds/Shacks: An Optimistic View!

Of course everyone is concerned how it will affect their holiday - one week or six months. What disturbs me is when people on this and other Forums post comments such as "I wish I was going home"; "I am not looking forward to this year's holiday in Goa"' ; "We are looking at other holiday options for next year".This is a great shame and I hope we all make the best of whatever Goa offers in the short term.

I remember having to do that with some "interesting" package holidays in the 60's!

I hope that all our 2012/13 Goan Experiences will add to our overall love of the place and that the medium to longer term picture will be more positive than the rumours, counter-rumours and "indefinites" circulating at the moment.

Edited: 03 December 2012, 10:19
goa
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunbeds/Shacks: An Optimistic View!

dande49, I can only see the discontent amoungst overseas visitors continuing to grow, clearly none of the parties involved in the problem, The Goan Government & the Shack Owners Association, have not had the common sense to get round the table and resolve the problem. From what I am hearing from sources, is that the BJP Government are not prepared to stand down even in relation to the number of complaints from tourists, until the shacks & SHA address the issues of corruption relating to the running of shacks and the payment of taxes.

The other is issue that will have a dampener in 2013/14 is that we are very likely to have 6 weeks of early closing and 4 to 5 dry days at some point mid season as a result of the Indian General Election.

I can fully understand why visitors are looking elsewhere.

Hoi An, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunbeds/Shacks: An Optimistic View!

You are right of course that sensible dialogue with some areas of compromise is essential

We had a similar problem here in Turkey years ago. You went into a simple or expensive restaurant and ordered a meal for four; maybe starters, main courses and desserts. . The waiter took down your order on a pad and then returned a few minutes later and placed your order sheet in a glass in the centre of the table. When you examined it, the order was, for example, two cokes, a cheese and tomato sandwich, one sprite and an omelette. This was the order for the taxman, The actual order was 'lost' somewhere.

This system had to end as the country's tax system became more diligent and operated a more sophisticated system. Prices went up, of course they did, to pay for cash machines which are now extremely closely regulated by the authorities and some temporary loss of business.

I don't think Goa is much different from some other countries where tourism is developed quickly; where the authorities make hasty decisions without thinking them through and the restaurant/beach bar/shack owners are reluctant to change - for whatever reason!.

In our part of Turkey for example, however much you eat and drink at even a simple beach bar, two sun beds and an umbrella would cost a minimum of approximately £5.50 per day. There are exceptions, of course, where the price could be lower - or much higher, especially at weekends. However, thankfully, there are no restrictions on the number of sunbeds at each location.

We are also in a minority, I know. But our enjoyment of Goa will not be dimished by early closing days or dry days. I like a drink as much as the next person but my love of Goa extends well beyond the availability of alcohol. But we would appreciate a couple of sunbeds and an umbrella. Lilos are packed for next week, though. Just in case!

Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunbeds/Shacks: An Optimistic View!

Dande, just to clarify, are you spending the entire 3 1/2 months in Agonda?

Hoi An, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,074 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunbeds/Shacks: An Optimistic View!

Yes, iaintwoeyes, we've rented an apartment there but we may well travel around a bit to find even quieter beaches - armed with two very light fold up chairs and lilos which were on the packing list well before the recent sunbed controversy. We like to be self-sufficient if we stumble across a stretch of sand with no facilities!

As mentioned earlier, after visiting several areas of Goa last year we fell in love with Agonda.

Edited: 03 December 2012, 15:52
Darlington, United...
Level Contributor
2,289 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunbeds/Shacks: An Optimistic View!

Sounds ace dande .....I just love Agonda!

But if you've been to Agonda before you'll know that there are no sunbeds allowed on the beach as its a protected beach for the nesting Ridley turtles.

But this rule is usually and largely ignored as most shacks (compounds) sneak a few beds onto the beach just in front of there compounds. So I wouldn't really worry about sunbeds in Agonda.

We're back there in March.....but only for a week...lol. I think 3 1/2 months sounds amazing but a little long for me.

If you're still there in march, maybe a beer or two are in order as its sooooo quiet.

London, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunbeds/Shacks: An Optimistic View!

Well said....

Sherborne, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunbeds/Shacks: An Optimistic View!

I have just returned from South Goa and the 5 sunbed rule appears to be force over the majority of shacks the result is empty beaches! My family have been holidaying in Goa for over ten years and have never seen it so empty and souless. Seriously considering finding somewhere else next year!

Redditch, United...
Level Contributor
10,140 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunbeds/Shacks: An Optimistic View!

Try the north, plenty of beds up there.