We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Malaria

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked but I cannot find anything. I have just been for my jabs and the doctor told me that the risk for malaria in Goa has been downgraded and tablets aren't necessary. Now I took them last year so I have no problem knowing which ones in fine with bit I don't want to take them if I don't need them. Anyone offer any more advice on this?

Thanks

manchester
Level Contributor
5,642 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria

Don't you believe your Doctor?

Blackburn
Level Contributor
135 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria

I was also advised that Goa has been downgraded to low risk and didn't need to take tablets. So I never :)

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria

Bendable...in a word no :) it wasn't the doctor it was the nurse, nothing against her knowledge but she did Google things.

Sharon ah that's good...I just didn't want them to be giving me misconstrued information.

Thanks guys :)

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
9,662 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria

Check out these websites:

Fitfortravel

Nathnac

They give latest advice on malaria risk & vaccinations.

And who is 'Bendable'....?

Heather - would you trust the word of a random stranger on a public forum against a medical person?

langkawi
Level Contributor
93 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria

I've just had a blood test today checking for malaria having been unwell since returning from Goa last week. Pretty sure it's not malaria, but doc wants to play safe.

Rotherham, United...
Level Contributor
6,671 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria

Do have a revolving neon sign on Candolim Medical Centre saying ' If you have a feaver get malaria check'. We've not taken tablets this year. Have used loads of jungle formula but still got bit. Fingers crossed .

scotland
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaria

Hi heather,

My wife and I fly out 28th march for 3 weeks, will be our 6th time to goa but first time without malaria tablets.

Wife is a blood Bourne virus nurse, and her consultant agrees it should be fine.

Enjoy your holiday.

Burnley, United...
Level Contributor
147 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaria

My nurse said no need for tablets been taking vit b and using odomos cream and doing quite good until i missed a few days and then i got quite badly bitten. Been fine since. Guess the malaria is a wait n see thing.

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaria

And you would listen to the posters on here over your doctor/practice nurse. ?

Edited: 11 February 2015, 03:44
10. Re: Malaria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2016, 00:17