We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disgusting Toilets in Caldolim & Calangute

Which Candolim hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Disgusting Toilets in Caldolim & Calangute

Just returned after our first visit to Goa. I do wish I had done a bit more research and asked a few more questions on basic hygiene in bars and restaurants.

I was shocked, appalled and disgusted at the standard of the toilets in the bars and restaurants we visited. Goa has been on th e tourist map for over 20 years so there is no excuse for dirt and debris.

I would advise anyone to carry anti- bacterial hand wipes and sanitising hand gel after using the lavatories. Obviously business owners have become complacent and feel that as they have a captive audience they don't have to provide clean basic facilities, but this basic lack of hygiene will just drive tourists elsewhere.

brierley hill west...
Level Contributor
351 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disgusting Toilets in Caldolim & Calangute

apart from the toilets what did you think of goa ??

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disgusting Toilets in Caldolim & Calangute

If that spoilt your holiday, well.........................

Edited: 19 February 2012, 17:51
Heckmondwike, West...
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Disgusting Toilets in Caldolim & Calangute

Don't think the toilets will drive tourists away as they were far worse going back 12 years ago when I first went, compared to then the toilets are a dream (sorry maybe that's not quite true). I don't think the business owners have become complacent and the standard of hygiene is now much better than it was.

We always have hand gel with us nowadays and use it even in the uk when using public loo's.

Hope this hasn't put you off going back and other than the toilets the rest of your holiday was more positive.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
2,654 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Disgusting Toilets in Caldolim & Calangute

DebyC - glad to hear the loos have improved we are hoping to visit early next year after an absence of 10+ years!

Me and hubby were discussing some of the restaurants that we had some really nice food at then would remember the loos - eurgh.. Nice restaurant shame about the loos!! All part and parcel of the holiday, always carry handy andies in your pocket and a clothes peg for your nose (kidding!)

It can be a bit of a shock to the system on someones first visit but it is a topic that is always discussed on any forum and not just in India.

lancashire
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disgusting Toilets in Caldolim & Calangute

worst toilets we have seen were in gambia and bulgaria even so i wont let a couple of minuets a day spoil a holiday the hotel bogs were fine that is enough for me

Wales
Level Contributor
378 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Disgusting Toilets in Caldolim & Calangute

Dirty toilets, dirty kitchens

London, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Disgusting Toilets in Caldolim & Calangute

Enjoyed Goa, and will probably go back sometime.

London, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Disgusting Toilets in Caldolim & Calangute

Enjoyed Goa very much. It would take a lot more than manky toilets to spoil a holiday for me. Lovely people and the whole "affordability" of the place especially the spa treatments means that we will go back at some time.

Durham
Level Contributor
359 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disgusting Toilets in Caldolim & Calangute

Yea the toilet facilities can always cause a furrowed brow, and certainly some restaurants need to take note, but at least shacks now provide a form of sanitation, long gone are the days when the only choice was the " Lemon Tree"

goa
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disgusting Toilets in Caldolim & Calangute

Did you complain in the restaurants, the only way they will change is if we make them aware of their shortfalls.

Get answers to your questions about Candolim
Recent Conversations