We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wifi and mobile phone call to UK

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
Wifi and mobile phone call to UK

Hello, I am travelling by cruise ship to Porbandar and various other India destinations and wish to be able to phone UK and use wifi. My research suggests to purchase a airtel sim. Can anyone advise please. We will be docked at Porbandar for 1 night, 2 days so can I purchase a sim card whilst there? Any help is welcome, thank you.

10 replies to this topic
Devpur Kutch
Destination Expert
for Gujarat
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Wifi and mobile phone call to UK

Hi,

Your Cruise Liner will assist you to obtain an Indian SIM card. Keep all the papers photocopied and ready, like the Passport and Visa and you will be given the SIM card but may take up to 24 hours to be activated.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Wifi and mobile phone call to UK

I don't think we will get any help from the ship's reception desk, we have always had to sort things like this out ourselves. We are docking in Porbander and wondered if we could find an Air Tel supplier? I have read that it can be problematic, but as long as we have passports and 2 photos then we should be able to buy the sim. Are you aware of any Air tel suppliers in Porbander who could help. Thank you

Devpur Kutch
Destination Expert
for Gujarat
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Wifi and mobile phone call to UK

There are several SIM providers and here is the address of the Airtel Store: Tajawala Shopping Center, Opp Hanuman Gufa Police Station, Svp Road, Porbandar - 360575. Besides your passport, visa and photos you are also required to give a proof of residence, which may be an issue as you will not be staying in a hotel. Hopefully, the Cruise Liner letter will suffice, else compliment any Hotel Concierge to facilitate you with Proof of Residence.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Wifi and mobile phone call to UK

Thank you so much you have been very helpful.

Vadodara, India
Destination Expert
for Gujarat, Kutch, Bhuj
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: Wifi and mobile phone call to UK

You can try booking sim card from Airtel Website and after reaching in india you can pick it up from store.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Wifi and mobile phone call to UK

Hi, have tried to purchase airtel sim but cannot. Also found out that you have to have a local address and telephone number in order to receive a pin no to activate? This seems incredibly difficult for us to do. Anyone got any ideas as to how we go about making/receiving call/data in India. Usually we just purchase a local sim card. Has anyone used an international sim for India. Thank you

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Wifi and mobile phone call to UK

Hi, Airtel Porbandar - have looked up shop recommended and was going to email/phone from UK to seek advice, however it does not give any email address/telephone number or even website for the shop in order to contact them in advance to seek help.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
67 posts
36 reviews
8. Re: Wifi and mobile phone call to UK

Dear Hazel, which airport are you landing at? As I know some airports have Airtel counters where you could easily get an Indian Sim. That would be best option according to me.

Vadodara, India
Destination Expert
for Gujarat, Kutch, Bhuj
Level Contributor
1,567 posts
25 reviews
9. Re: Wifi and mobile phone call to UK

Accoustic 103,

Looks like you have not gone through the post, they are arriving by Ship so not landing at airport.

Meanwhile Hazel80 try contacting airtel india on their website for assistance and they will surely help, international sim cards works normal in india but at times you may get stuck with no network or no signal specially while in travelling or visiting rural areas and may have to give out extra charges over and above international roaming.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Wifi and mobile phone call to UK

Thank you will try with Airtel website and update you.

Reply to: Wifi and mobile phone call to UK
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted