We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Required For My recent relatives experience please

p j
Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
92 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
Help Required For My recent relatives experience please

Hi,

One of our relatives very recently brought many dresses and saree in bulk from one of shops in textile market and paid the full amount but the shop owners gave them only few dresses back and said rest of all will be shipped back to their home address soon.

Its been a week they returned but still waiting for the rest of dresses to be shipped.

Just wondering is it a common practice that happened to my relatives that shop-owners prefer sending majority by post and handover few by hand to the buyer?

Moreover wondering why do they do this ? Ofcourse my relatives have all the bills with them. On the whole they purchased around 1 1/2 Lakhs.

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Required For My recent relatives experience please

Iam not sure if thats done on Individual purchase but its common in Business deals, infact to avoid such issues there are middle men between the Business Contact & Customer Contact who play the role so that things are going smooth and to communicate on both sides in case of issues i think they retain something like 1 or 2% of the transaction amount.

It is also not clear on what terms your relatives have purchased it, i mean no vendor will just say on his own that he will parcel without your permission by default.

Another possible reason is that the original stock will be there some where else and only display pieces are displayed for the models to select so they cannot hand over all of the stock at the same time.

p j
Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
92 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Required For My recent relatives experience please

Many thanks for your reply RatnaPrasad.

Even i dont know exact details and i will enquire and will let you know.

Your suggestions are very valuable.

Devpur Kutch
Destination Expert
for Gujarat
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Required For My recent relatives experience please

No. It is not the practice. Possibly, your relatives requested the vendor to ship the same to them so that they do not need to carry with them. Were the goods shipped by air cargo or sea cargo. Do ask for the waybill number and now you can track things online. Since you are in the UK alarm bells should ring only if the shipment is by air cargo, or the vendor fails to show you the waybill or there is difficulty tracing online.

I feel the goods are safe but may take time by sea cargo.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,959 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Required For My recent relatives experience please

Dear PJ -

I have seen many overseas Indians shopping in India for wedding clothes.

1) They buy a lot of goods, which is EXTREMELY expensive to take by flight because of the weight restrictions. Also lehenga-choli with embroidery, sequins and mirror work is not just heavy, but also bulky and difficult to fit into suitcases (need multiple suitcases). So shipping is a natural choice.

2) Often they ask for modifications or for a specific colour, or a specific size, or additional similar items which may not be immediately available. Hence the shop owners say that they will manufacture it or source from the craftsmen and then ship it. Sometimes alterations in size, repairs of broken gota work, etc also are carried out.

3) Most shops which deal with tourists and especially such large textile shops offer shipping service. They usually mention this service to the customers proactively, so that customers are encouraged to buy more without worrying about how to transport it. There is nothing to worry about, this a very common practice.

Edited: 14 October 2016, 21:20
Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,959 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Required For My recent relatives experience please

About the time taken to send it: Shop keepers usually use a local shipping agent, the agent helps to find a container which is already going to the same location. They wait for a container-load to get full, so that the best rates can be obtained. Thus there may be some wait time.

p j
Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
92 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Required For My recent relatives experience please

Many thanks Deepa_Krishnan and DevpurHomestay for your valuable replies.

I am very sorry for confusion but this is nothing to do with UK shipping as my relatives along with another family are based in banglore and they went to surat for these bulk purchase .

Ok i got updated news that one parcel has arrived to their banglore address and rest on due shortly.

Devpur Kutch
Destination Expert
for Gujarat
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Required For My recent relatives experience please

So, all is well that ends well. :))

8. Re: Help Required For My recent relatives experience please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2017, 13:15
Get answers to your questions about Surat