We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 Days trip to Ooty and Coonoor

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
11 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
4 Days trip to Ooty and Coonoor

Hi,

Below are the details and places we would like to visit. Please help us plan the Itineraries. I don't need in detail, you can just suggest like Day 1 : First this place, next this and next is this. Day 2 : This, then this, then this, something like this will help.

Starting from Bangalore by own vehicle on Thursday early morning. Family of 6 no children.

Stay at Coonoor: clubhouse road, near coonoor club, sims park, coonoor - I have booked the places for four days. Aug 11, Thursday(Afternoon Checkin) - Aug 15, Monday(morning checkout)

Day 1 : Arrive at Ooty by 10:30 : 11:00

leave from Ooty to Coonoor by Toy train around 2:00 PM and reach Coonoor by 3:15 PM

We have booked tickets to Coonoor from Ooty on both Thursday and Friday, as we were not sure if we should start on Thursday or Friday. Do we need four days or can we wind it up in 3 days.

Ooty:

Botanical Garden

Shooting Point

Lakes:

Ooty Lake

Pykara Lake

Emerald Lake

Upper Bhavani Lake

Avalanche Lake

View Points:

Doddabetta Peak

Needle rock view point

Shopping : King Star

While travelling from Coonoor to Ooty stopping at Wellington heights, War memorial etc on the way.

Coonoor:

Sim's Park

Lamb's Rock

Laws Falls

The Dolphin's Nose Viewpoint

High Field Teafactory

Rallia Dam

The Droogs Fort

Which one would be better safari bandipur or Mudumalali? Should we visit it during onward journey or return journey?

Thanks for your time and advises in advance.

Thanks,

Shoaib

Chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 Days trip to Ooty and Coonoor

Hi

While you do have quite a list, the directions they are in, are not in a logical order (for example, at Ooty, Botanical garden and shooting point are in two different directions). Check this link for an idea on the directions they are in and a logical sequence based on your priorities. . . .

https://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g297679…

If you are a serious wildlife enthusiast, who would like to spend a couple of hours within the jungle, then your obvious choice has to be Bandipur. If you want a quick 45 minute tour of the forest - more to get a feel of the jungles, then Mudumalai may work for you. The added attraction at Mudumalai is that the Elephant camp / training center is right across the safari booking office.

In any case, you will need to pass through Mudumalai to get to Bandipur when you return from Ooty.

You are better off doing the Safari on your return. While getting to Ooty from Bangalore, you would be passing by Bandipur / Mudumalai around 10:30 AM when the morning safaris would have been completed and the evening safaris (3:30 PM) would be at least 5 hours away and would upset your other schedules (toy train) for the day . . .

regards

Rajan

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
11 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 Days trip to Ooty and Coonoor

Hi Rajan,

Thanks for your inputs. I did get a basic idea about the places that can be covered in logical order. But I would like to know which all places are worth visiting in the list I have mentioned like we have too many lakes of them which are worth visiting.

Please let me know which all places we can avoid if the trip is of just 3 days.

Thanks,

Shoaib

Chennai
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 Days trip to Ooty and Coonoor

Hi

On the lakes, while Ooty lake is in the heart of the city providing boating, with gardens, deer park etc around it, Pykara is out of town in a scenic locale with a completely different surrounding and experience. In any case, Pykara is en-route to your other view points (9th mile, needle view etc) and would suggest do both. Maybe you can give the Needle view point a miss and turn back after the Pykara lake and falls visit if you really need to save time.

On Emerald, Avalance, Upper Bhavani, though they are all different places, they are all on one single route and you will not really be making a detour (in fact they are part of the package by the forest dept vehicle).

So with Lambs Rock & Dolphins nose at Coonoor, they are adjacent to each other and in fact Dolphins is the end point to the stretch from where you then turn back to Coonoor.

regards

Rajan

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
11 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 Days trip to Ooty and Coonoor

Hi Rajan/All,

Any one planning to take vehicle from Bangalore to Ooty can contact the below Travels, we took Innova which was in good condition and the driver was very knowledgeable about Ooty and its surroundings, mentioned this in the beginning as few might not be interested in reading till end.

IS Tours & Travels - Mob : 9739566433

We completed our Ooty/Coonoor trip, covered few places and missed few of them as for my parents we covered the places at a leisurely pace. I am providing the below itinerary hoping that it would help someone.

Day 1: Friday - Crowd was really less

We started around 4:30 AM from Bangalore, reached Ooty Botanical Garden by 10:30 (with couple of Chai breaks and Breakfast breaks, spotted couple of Elephants and a Bison in the Mudumalai forest range), spent some time there and left for station inorder to catch 2:00 PM Ooty - Coonoor train.

Mistake no.1 the Kings Star shop is pretty close to Botanical Garden visit it and shop for the Homemade chocolates etc and then leave for the station. We didn't do it.

The train journey was awesome, I was a kid allover again, who was enjoying the drizzle and the beautiful views of valley and mountains. Our car was at Coonoor station, then we went to the room and refreshed ourselves and had our lunch and around 4:45 we went to the Sim's Park, which was just next to our room, spent around 1 1/2 hour and retired for the day.

Day 2: Saturday - Morning we didn't feel the crowd but the evening at Boat house was too crowded but still manageable.

Morning 6:00 AM me and my wife left for walk and found a lot of retired Army men along with their wife and dogs were out for walk not even a single vehicle could be spotted, the roads were dead empty. It was an experience in itself.

Around 7:30 we started for Avalanche, we took the left turn around 4 kms before the Ooty bus stand, trust me the root was way more enjoyable and beautiful than the one we get to take from Ooty, there was not even a single vehicle, just the mountains and tea farms, we had breakfast in a small hotel in a remote village, where idli chatni was pretty yummy. We reached Avalanche around 11:00 PM, multiple times my parents requested that we either return or take a route to Ooty and visit some place there, but our driver insisted that we go ahead since we had come this far and finally we reached Avalanche around 11:00 AM and the crowd was still less as the time passed the crowd grew like anything, got our 12:15 PM ride, which completed by 2:00 PM and started

for Emerald but on the way some local suggested that we skip it as there was no water in it. We did get few glances of it from far away. After lunch around 4:30 we reached Boat house which was heavily crowded, but we easily got the pedal boat for 4, the river is completely polluted, but that is an experience that has to be enjoyed when you are in Ooty :). Post that we headed back to Coonoor, as we were pretty tired already.

Day 3: Sunday - Too much crowd

We started around 8:00 AM from room thinking that we won't visit the Highfield tea factory and instead we will visit the Doddabetta and Shooting point and return to Bangalore. Instead our driver forced us that we should visit this tea factory as there is a tea farm and we can take some gd pics and have a look at the tea making process. We took his word and visited the Highfield Tea factory and did not regret, had we not done that we would have felt bad. Then we visited the Doddabetta, it was so crowded with vehicles that we had to park our car around 1.5 kms before parking area and had to climb all the way upto Doddabetta for 2kms, almost all of them were doing the same, my parents had to return after 1 km as they could not walk any more, they missed the Doddabetta view, it was too crowded even at the top which was obvious, while returning it took more than 2 hrs to get down of the mountain into Ooty, we had to skip Shooting point and start for Blre as it was already 3:00 PM by then. This time we spotted 2 herds of Elephants and 1 on the road whom we humans being idiots were teasing as it was silently grazing the grass on one side, a herd of Bisons and few Bours.

All in all it was great fun trip, just one advice would be avoid visiting Ooty over weekend.

Thanks,

Shoaib

Chennai
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 Days trip to Ooty and Coonoor

Wow, good trip report Shoaib. Glad you had a nice time . . . .

regards

Rajan

6. Re: 4 Days trip to Ooty and Coonoor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2017, 00:16
Get answers to your questions about Ooty (Udhagamandalam)