We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safest way to complete Ooty trip from bangalore

Bengaluru, India
9 posts
Save Topic
Safest way to complete Ooty trip from bangalore

I know there are 2 routes from Bandipur to reach Ooty. One via Masinagudi and other via Gudlur. I m planning to take Gudlur (longest route) to avoid hairpins. Please guide me whether Gudlur road will be safe both for uphill and downhill. I have been to Coorg so will the journey be same in Ooty.

Ooty to Coonor journey is good or not??

Thanks

Mysuru (Mysore...
Destination Expert
for Mysuru (Mysore)
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safest way to complete Ooty trip from bangalore

The shorter route has 38 hairpin bends and is not used by buses and may actually be better for you as the longer route is used by buses and trucks. Ooty to Coonoor is gentler

Bengaluru, India
Destination Expert
for Bengaluru
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safest way to complete Ooty trip from bangalore

Take the masinagudi route.It will be beautiful.

Terrain to ooty is uphill compared to the flat coorg. Need to be more careful. Drive slowly and safely.

Bengaluru, India
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Safest way to complete Ooty trip from bangalore

I am travelling with 1 year old baby so need to avoid hairpins hence planning to take Gudlur route. Please guide me whether it is safe as I am assuming the journey will be similar to Coorg if I take Gudlur route.

Bengaluru, India
Destination Expert
for Bengaluru
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safest way to complete Ooty trip from bangalore

Allright, so if you want to avoid hairpins , then take the gudalur route. It does not have hair pen bends thought it is a ghat road. Will be similar to coorg, but will have a gentle climb.

One more thing to remember is to start back from ooty before evening so that you cross the forest check posts in time. Before they close at 8.30pm. Hope you may already know that.

Bengaluru, India
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Safest way to complete Ooty trip from bangalore

Thanks man! You have boost my confidence.

One more question - From Ooty to Doddabetta peak how is the road journey? Is it safe to climb there as I am not an experienced Ghat driver - Just been once to Nandi hills and Coorg.

Thanks in advance.

~Rahul

Bengaluru, India
Destination Expert
for Bengaluru
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safest way to complete Ooty trip from bangalore

i am not sure about the route from Ooty to Doddabetta peak. Maybe some experts from there can comment on that.

But generally speaking, there is nothing like being experienced in ghat roads. Just drive carefully and go. Let that be an experience. Actually, these days experienced drivers are the ones who meets with accidents by being over confident and not knowing the power of their vehicles.

Just drive slowly, and safely, that is all, you can make it.

Chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safest way to complete Ooty trip from bangalore

Hi

A few points for your consideration.

- The hair pin bends on the Masinagudi road are quite sharp (Especially the last 6 while climbing up) and do exercise caution on these.

- There are buses plying this route. These are the shorter buses with a specially souped up engine, enforced brake pads and a differential gear ratio to negotiate these steep climbs and sharp descents. Trucks do ply this route, but as Prem points out, the number of buses and trucks on this stretch is less compared to the Gudalur stretch.

- The Gudalur stretch is a lot less steep when compared to the Masinagudi stretch and if you have the time, is a great drive where you can park enroute for a long list of view points (needle view, 9th mile, pykara etc)

- The Ooty to Dodabetta stretch is quite decent and not very steep. You should be OK

- Check this link for more info on Ghat driving:

https://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g297679…

regards

Rajan

Bengaluru, India
Destination Expert
for Bengaluru
Level Contributor
1,267 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safest way to complete Ooty trip from bangalore

Good write up on ghat road driving mrajank. Thanks for compiling and sharing that.

Chennai
Destination Expert
for Chennai (Madras), Tamil Nadu
Level Contributor
3,357 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safest way to complete Ooty trip from bangalore

Thanks Balenoed for your nice words. . . . . by the way, this is an old one penned quite a while ago . . . . thanks anyways . . .

regards

Rajan

Bengaluru, India
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Safest way to complete Ooty trip from bangalore

Thanks for the info mrajank.

Get answers to your questions about Ooty (Udhagamandalam)