We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biten by monkey in ubud monkey forest

Felixstowe, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Biten by monkey in ubud monkey forest

So yesterday I was in the ubud monkey forest and upon going to leave a monkey fancied trying to nab my phone so bit my hand when I refused it entry into my pocket. I went to the clinic which cleaned the wound, put iodine on it and told me not to worry as the monkeys don't have rabies and showed me a certificate. Before coming to Bali I got the 3 pre exposure vaccines against rabies,and was vacinated against hep A and typhoid as well.basically what do I do? Do I need to go to hospital or am I okay? My tetanus are up to date (need booster in 2 years)

41 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
69,345 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Biten by monkey in ubud monkey forest

Nathan ~ sorry that this happened. However, this is a member to member forum about technical issues using the website. It is not about medical advice or even travel advice to Bali.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
51,563 posts
1,736 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Biten by monkey in ubud monkey forest

I am sorry for the unfortunate situation, but sometimes, wild animals will be, well wild animals.

Since TA does not have a forum dedicated to monkey bites, or actually any animal bites, I suggest consulting a medical professional.

Best of luck,

Hunt

Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
25,921 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Biten by monkey in ubud monkey forest

I would be contacting a Doctor and checking rather than asking random strangers on a technical support forum on TripAdvisor.. If you need help finding a Doctor or Hospital then maybe speak to your hotel or hostel staff and see if they can recommend one.

Also, maybe ask for advice on seeking local medical help on the Ubud forum if you are still in that area. Here’s that forum - https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g29…

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
81,782 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Biten by monkey in ubud monkey forest

Agreed ! Seek professional medical advice, in person !!

So Cal
Level Contributor
11,403 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Biten by monkey in ubud monkey forest

Any animal bite can become infected and life-threatening (rabies and tetanus aren't the only concerns; I'll show you the bills from my cat bite). Yes, I'd want it checked out by a real medical professional.

And for the love of Mike, why are you asking this on the technical support forum of an anonymous travel site? Even Web MD would be a better bet.

Europe
Level Contributor
16,770 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Biten by monkey in ubud monkey forest

Wrong forum and wrong place to seek medical advice anyway!

Phone your travel insurers’ Medical Emergency Service immediately.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Biten by monkey in ubud monkey forest

Personally l think you are well covered and the monkeys in Ubud they say, don’t have rabies. No one is qualified to give you medical advice on the forum. I know those assistants at the forest do just put some antiseptic on bites and send people on their way.

I have never heard of anyone dying from a monkey bite in Ubud and believe me those monkeys are well checked and taken care of, they cannot afford to have sick monkeys as they attract thousands of tourists, daily.

Sorry about your bad experience and hope you enjoy the rest of your trip.

United States
Level Contributor
921 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Biten by monkey in ubud monkey forest

The Ubud monkey forest gets tens of thousands of visitors every year, and almost as many bites.

There has never been any known case of rabies originating from the monkeys there.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Biten by monkey in ubud monkey forest

Call the BIMC Hospital for advice. Do you have travel insurance?

http://bimcbali.com

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,034 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Biten by monkey in ubud monkey forest

TA 2883,

I think that’s a bit of an over exaggeration. Considering they have so many visitors the bites are minuscule.

Reply to: Biten by monkey in ubud monkey forest
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted