We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is snorkelling here worthwhile?

Vancouver, B.C...
Level Contributor
212 posts
185 reviews
Save Topic
Is snorkelling here worthwhile?

We've read great things about Bunaken Marine Park but our main destination in the area is Raja Ampat. So, I was wondering if it would be redundant to spend some time before RA around Manado. A complication may be that our dates are in March but I've also read that Manado snorkelling is better in April.

Thanks in advance.

6 replies to this topic
1. Re: Is snorkelling here worthwhile?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2017, 20:17

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is snorkelling here worthwhile?

I think it is worth to snorkel in Bunaken. The drop off is gorgeous.

Gorontalo, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is snorkelling here worthwhile?

Bunaken has a good drop off and it's quite easy to spot Turtles, but if your heading to Raja 4. I think I'd advise you to spend more time there. There are so many beautiful snorkeling spots in Indonesia, you might need to come back

At my desk
Level Contributor
377 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is snorkelling here worthwhile?

I haven't been to RA (it is very high up the wishlist), I have been to nth Sulawesi. From what I understand of RA if you're going there I wouldn't bother going to Bunaken and environs for snorkelling. However if you dive (as opposed to snorkel only) I would strongly recommend Lembeh in north Sulawesi. If you're into terrestrial fauna the Tangkoko NP is also well worth it. Enjoy!

Christchurch
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is snorkelling here worthwhile?

Greetings - I am most interested also about snorkelling in North Sulawesi as I plan to cycle around the top of peninsula seeking secluded bays & reefs. I will steer clear of Bunaken, but instead check out the headlands such as Cape Tarawitan, Cape Pulisan, the bay around Batu Puitih, and looking at Google Maps I wonder if the very south tip of Lembeh Island is away from the muck diving and more into beaches & coral ?? Also there is the coast south of Kema to Bentenan, and/or across on other coast the side road from Paslaten to Tongkeina, Tawangko, and Tateli .... (all places taken from a map I bought)

Does anyone have info about less-known snorkel spots on east & west coast, north & south of Manado?? Much appreciated whatever you can tell me.

6. Re: Is snorkelling here worthwhile?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2017, 11:53

Reply to: Is snorkelling here worthwhile?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Manado