We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flores

Bath
3 posts
Save Topic
Flores

Has anyone recently visited Flores? Any must see places? any recommendations on how to travel around the island? Can you recommend a good boat tour between Lombok and Flores?

Hobart
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flores

I'm after the same information.............someone must be able to assist us!

Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flores

I have been several time to Flores, and I like it so much... I try to make list of what I have seen when I did the overland from West to East on Flores Island:

- See Komodo Dragons. actually no in Flores but at Rinca Island, a small island nearby Flores, about 2 hours from Labuanbajo (Flores) to Rinca by boat.

- Labuanbajo - small town on western tip of Flores. There is one 3 stars hotel here, name: Bintang Flores. Other nice hotels: Puri Sari (new one), and EcoLodge. Some simple lodge also available...

- Onto Ruteng, about 3 - 4 hours drive from labuanbajo. See Ruteng Puu village, traditional village of Ruteng people. They still have traditional houses there. Accom is simple... No Ac (no need, it's cool area).

- Proceed to Bajawa, another 4 hours drive. See well-know - "Bena" village, it's amazing traditional village... and friendly people.

- Continue to Ende, on the way stop at Wogo another Ngadanese village and Boawae village of Nagekeo tribe... Arrive Ende, go to the market and find where people selling "ikat" weaving..(don't forget to bargain).

- Visit "Wolotopo" village, then continue to Moni. Overnight at moni...

- Early morning go up to "Kelimutu" enjoy sunrise and see the three color lakes... Back to moni (better to walk down, and passing villages... nice trek).

Onto to Maumere.... Stay at Sao Wisata -- nice resort on the beach, great place to relax for a couple days before back to Denpasar...

Hope.. this info can help you....

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flores

The place to go on Flores is Labuan Bajo, the gateway to Komodo National Park.

Its incredible - deserted tropical islands, coral, dragons, ocean vistas. You can fly there from Denpasar. I believe you can take Pelni from Bali, not sure about Lombok.

You can hire a car and drive the trans-Flores highway to Ende and Ruteng. Its highway in name only!

Anyway, this is my report on KNP-

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g325592-r270…

Also check for info on West Flores:

http://www.floreskomodo.com/

Contact the guide in the JBR - perhaps he can set you up with a boat.

I think its a pretty big trip to go by boat, unless you have a group. I do know there are charter boats that do it. I would recommend just fly from Denpasar.

Edited: 25 November 2009, 19:59
Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Flores

We visited Flores in September. We travelled with Explore Komodo and flew in to Labuan Bajo. The bay is really beautiful. We stayed at Bayview Gardens, which is a fairly new hotel half way up the hill. Our views were incredible and sunset was something not to be missed. Because it is new the restaurant wasn't finished when we were there (it would be by now) but the owners organised our dinner from a local restaurant and served it on our balcony. This was the only place we stayed on Flores with good airconditioning. Highly recommended.

We drove across the island with a driver and a guide. It was very helpful to have locals to translate for us. Our second night was at Ruteng.

We went to the cave where the "hobbit" skelton was found. I knew that it was just a big empty cave but I still wanted to see it. We were really surprised and very happy to discover the archeologists at work when we arrived. We were welcomed and shown around. Thomas, the archeologist from Java, answered all our questions. Our guide and driver were also really interested in what was found here. When they had been to the cave before there was nothing to see and they really enjoyed talking to the locals who were employed there.

The traditional villages are well worth visiting. If you are interested in the weaving remember that each region has its own style, colours and patterns. I bought three very different pieces from Ruteng (Mangarrai), Bena (Ngada) and Sikka village. All are stunning.

Another worth a look while it's still there is the blue stone beach just before Ende. The way these stones are being gathered and sold there probably won't be any left soon.

Flores is a very different holiday from Bali. It's not so touristy and is more of an adventure. At the same time we were quite comfortable in our vehicle and accommodations. My son was a bit shocked that some places only had cold showers and we only saw powdered milk all the time we were there, but that's easy to live with.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
12 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flores

As you wrote this I was doing this trip, sorry for the late reply.

We flew from Bali to Flores and spent the afternoon looking for a boat trip to see the dragons. We found a very simple boat for a 2nt/3d tour just for the 2 of us for a very good price - Ask for Captain Jai - quite a character. Boat trip was to Rinca - better for dragons, Komodo, Flying Fox, Manta Point and other snorkeling places. I then went on a diving day trip to Komodo and my buddy went to snake cave - no snakes for him but he liked the experience.

Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flores

Is it possible to join a tour as a single travelling female?

I will be in bali next week and would love to visit Flores and travel back to Bali by boat.

Can anyone make any recommendations?

Thanks

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
51 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flores

Hi,

I'm also seeking the same information on Komodo tour. I'm looking for a 3D/2N trip. So far the price I got with out flight ticket from Denpasar-LB-Denpasar range from 2.75M to 3.5M

Would someone be able to tell me if it will be cheaper if we just buy the package when we arrive in Labuan Bajo?

What time does the tour usually start? morning?

Am not so comfortable thinking that I only have afternoon after I landed in Labuan Bajo to start finding a tour for the next day.

Maribor, Slovenia
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Flores

Hi, I also go to Flores in April 2010. I hardly wait to see it.

I just want to ask about Kelimutu. How long you need for a drive there and how long take a walk to the top? I stay in Moni for the night.

Thank you.

Java, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flores

Its a 30 min drive to the carpark. From there, you will need to walk for about 30 mins to get to the look out point.

just follow the crowds. Its a well marked trail anyway.

Some people also choose to walk back from Kelimutu to Moni. It will take about 2 hours. It apparently passes lovely villages, padi fields and a waterfall. Did not do it ourselves but met 2 couples that did it in Moni.

Maribor, Slovenia
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Flores

Thank you very much for your very helpfull answer.