We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic getaway / perhaps relocation spot.

New York
Level Contributor
54 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Romantic getaway / perhaps relocation spot.

My husband and i are looking to leave the big city, and looking to move to a smaller city within walking distance to cafes, restaurants, and a park. We love park slope brooklyn, and it's swankiness but can't afford it. We can afford a multi family dwelling in albany though which is why we are visiting. never been there, and want to "get to know" the city. Any advice for considering it as a prospective locale, and at teh same time a romantic getaway. Thanks

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,587 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic getaway / perhaps relocation spot.

You'll enjoy your getaway to Albany. Looking at a map of the area you will notice lots of green spots...hence, tons of parks, lots of fishing/hiking. The newer Discovery Center and Pine Preserve is amazing. It took a while to get my mind around sand - deep sand,not just sandy soil - and pine forest is not coastal, not southern...but in NY between the mt. ranges. Albany's right on the river too with a nicely restored waterfront for concerts and hopping a tour boat. There's a stationery boat as a restaurant as well. You can park right at this restaurant...but we enjoyed at least one time of parking on the other side of the bridge across the highway to the riverfront. That way we got to see the fantastic three dimensional artwork and dedications along the bridge as we walked across.

Downtown...more fantastic enormous parks and festivals in the nicer months. The Empire Plaza is huge and has lots of art and monuments and a Native American Long House nearby (our Native American's went another way so the long house is new to us). Lots of weekday music and farmer's markets and Friday concerts at the waterfront.

Good movies from the large complex at the mall to a smaller one....someone remind me....where you can see almost indie feeling movies and get great desserts as well.

I'm wondering if you'd like a drive/walk around nearby Delmar. Sort of a "cute town" feel and yet not just for tourists. You can feel like one of the residents. A darling, quaint town.

Delmar, NY
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
216 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic getaway / perhaps relocation spot.

My wife and I did the same thing: lived in the big city -- OK, northern New Jersey -- checked out Albany, found we could afford it and decided to move here. That was more than 18 years ago, and we've loved it. If location is everything, then Albany has it all. NYC, 3 hours away; Boston, 3 hours away; Montreal, 4 hours away; Adirondacks, 1 hour away; Berkshires, 45 minutes away; Catskills, 45 minutes away; Saratoga, 30 minutes away; and most importantly (to me, anyway), skiing at Stratton, 1 3/4 hours away and Whiteface, 2 1/4 hours away. The Capital Region has a lot to offer: excellent museums, restaurants and schools, big-name concerts at the Times Union Center, Broadway shows at Proctors in Schenectady, the Albany Symphony at the Palace Theater, apple picking in the fall, beautiful foliage, and state parks that are literally in our backyard. When we moved here 18 years ago, Albany was still thought of as something of a provincial backwater. Not any more. As an example of how far this area has come, L.L. Bean just opened its first New York store here. Only two things I miss about downstate: Long Island beaches (hard to body surf on the lakes up here), and NYC's energy. Yes, the city of Albany is small -- and it's still called "Smallbany" -- taxes in some towns are rather high, and winter can be really, really cold. But all in all, I think this is a terrific area in which to live.

As to that romantic getaway, I'd suggest looking into some places in the Berkshires or Saratoga. Options for a romantic getaway in Albany itself are somewhat limited. Check out 74 State, a new boutique hotel in downtown; it's a Clarion Collection hotel, so you can book it through the Choice Hotels website. I've not stayed there but it's getting good TA reviews.

Hope this helps. Post if you need more.

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic getaway / perhaps relocation spot.

I would agree with Del about Saratoga and I would wonder whether living in Saratoga would fit into your budget. Living in the city limits can be pricey.

New York
Level Contributor
54 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic getaway / perhaps relocation spot.

We want to buy but could never afford to buy here in nyc. We could afford app. $150,000 safely. Not interested in Saratoga. Not interested in Rich neighborhoods at all really. Want a multicultural neighborhood that is walking distance to all ammenities. Kinda like Queens....except with a more small town feel. Well we are leaving today for our trip...so I guess we hope it all goes well. Not sure what we are going to do but as we need a weekend to do nothing this comes in handy.

Albany NY
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Romantic getaway / perhaps relocation spot.

Sounds like you may have already left, but just in case you get to peek at this, I'd suggest Cooperstown for a romantic getaway. I recommend staying at the innatcooperstown.com. As for moving, Cooperstown is beautiful, but you 'd have to be willing to put up with the tourists in the summer. A multi-cultural area would be the Center Square area in downtown Albany. I used to live in an apartment on State Street overlooking Washington Park and we used to walk to Lark Street for dinner, small groceries, the newspaper and breakfast, the park for a walk or bike ride. It was a great place to live.

Now I live in Delmar, but it doesn't sound like the type of place you're looking for where you can walk to everything. But if you're in Albany, you should swing through just in case. A Realtor I would recommend for serious home searching in the Town of Bethlehem (of which Delmar is a hamlet) would be Sandy Evans of REMAX Premier in Delmar - 518- 533-3609.

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Albany
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Romantic getaway / perhaps relocation spot.

I would agree with Roadtrip that the Center Square area is great for what you are looking for and some places south of Madison Avenue and around the Mansion (Albany). But I think your price might not work.

On area you might want to consider is Troy. It is really coming around and there are some bargains to be found and it is really a multi-cultural city.

New York
Level Contributor
54 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Romantic getaway / perhaps relocation spot.

So, just got back. Loved the B&B we stayed in (Morgan State House). I enjoyed my time in Albany because it was relaxing. My husband put it : Albany is a city where people don't seem to care that they are living in a city. I am sure this is not everybody, but when you compare it to NYC where people live in it because it is a city there is a big difference. I definetely see how it quiets down on the weekends (have yet to see it during the week to compare though) we visited the State Plaze and it was like a graveyard- so quiet nobody anywhere(but very cool!). Loved the park and a huge bonus all the tennis courts (here in NYC you have to pay $100 just to have access for a year- and that does not guarantee you a spot on the court), affordable multi unit properties, walkability, river bike trail, great location, some culture and entertainment (i know can't compare to nyc but enough to keep us occupied). Some complaints- How can people compare lark st. to SOHO. SO not close. Maybe more like Park slope. But Lark looks nothing like SOHO. And also, yeah Arbor Hill is VERY run down. I mean I know "bad" neighborhoods here but at least here in the city neighborhoods don't look completely abandoned. It is like the govt gave up on that community for a while. It is really sad- but saw some gems of architecture there while walking around. Hopefully people start buying there and rebuilding it.

Also, what is the deal with people being so Anti- Bus. I thought the bus system was great- and ultra on time. We also walked everywhere- something it seems people don't do. We bussed it out there so did not have a car. Everyone reccomended to take the yellow cab....HELLO haven't you heard of walking?Q@?!?!:!

Overall...I think I could live there.

8. Re: Romantic getaway / perhaps relocation spot.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 07:22