We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Low-budget @ 1-star hotels near the Galle Railway station

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
32 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Low-budget @ 1-star hotels near the Galle Railway station

Hai! I'm Deven from Malaysia. I'll be visiting Sri Lanka in November 2012. After visiting Kandy, I plan to head towards Galle by train.

Are there any cinemas & low-budget @ 1-star hotels(less than USD20/night) near the Galle Railway station? Thanks!

Deven Raja Lawak in TM 2012's 'Kecurian Kabel' television commercial/ advertisement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hinkSjJV69Q

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,723 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Low-budget @ 1-star hotels near the Galle Railway station

Hi again,

Galle Fort has some, e.g. Mama's. Do prebook, capacity is limited.

If you prefer beach however, from the station take bus to Unuwatuna and get off at the beach access road (Welledewala Road) stop, 15 mins ride from Galle. This area has tons of guesthouses with good price/quality ratio.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
32 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Low-budget @ 1-star hotels near the Galle Railway station

I made an 8-day-trip to Sri Lanka from 8/11/12 to 15/11/12. Upon reaching the Bandaranaike Airport of Colombo, Sri Lanka on 8/11/12 at 11am, I headed to Kataragama by bus, and reached the Kataragama bus station(Yala Road, Kataragama)at 1am

After a short nap in a nearby hotel, i.e. Weerasiri Hotel(0094-472236055), I proceeded to the main Murugan Temple complex there, i.e. Maha Devale which is dedicated to Skanda-Murugan known amongst the Sinhalese as Kataragama deviyo. This shrine contains the lance of the six-faced, 12-armed Hindu war god, Murugan. In the main Devale, there r 2 appartments which is accessed through 7 veils/curtains. After a quick prayer and a short stop at the Puja Stalls outside the temple complex to buy souveniers, I headed to the Kataragama Bus station to take a bus to Galle.

I spent the night at Galle at a resthouse in the Fort, i.e. Thenu's Rest House(0094-779990865). In the morning, I visited the Galle Fort, which is a World Heritage site, and the nearby Hindu Sivan temple before taking the 4.30pm train from Galle Railway Station to the Rambutkene station which is close by to the Pinnawalle Elephant Orphanage. I spent the night at the Green Land Guest House(0094-352265668), and visited the Pinnawalle Elephant Orphanage in the morning. After an adventurous elephant ride and getting some Ayurvedic medication, I was off to Kandy at 12pm by a three-wheeler(Tuk Tuk). Upon reaching Kandy in the evening, I checked into the Ambika's Resthouse(0094-757900772, next to Hotel Suisse) for the night. On the next day, I visited the Temple of Tooth Relic and Botanical Gardens before taking a three-wheeler(Tuk Tuk) to Dalhousie, the nearest town to Adam's Peak.

Upon reaching Dalhousie, I rested for an hour or so in the Slightly Chilled Guest House And Restaurant before climbing 5200 steps to the top of Mount Adam, after getting packed-dinner and a torchlight from the nearby Achinika Holiday Inn(0094-523530377) at 8.30pm. I reached the chilly Adam's Peak at 4.30am, and waited on the temple balcony facing east to catch a view of the sunrise. After getting cramped-legs caused by the chilled-wind, I staggered down Mount Adam and reached Dalhousie at 11.30am. I then got taxi service from Achinika Holiday Inn to catch the 4.30pm train from Hatton to Colombo.

Upon reaching Colombo at 10pm, I hopped into the 10.30pm train to the north of Colombo and reached Anuradhapura, one of the ancient capitals of Sri Lanka which is famous for its well-preserved ruins of ancient Sri Lankan civilization, at 4.30am. After a quick morning tour of the Ancient Ruins & Holy City of Anuradhapura, including Thuparamaya where the collarbone of Buddha is enshrined, Isurumuniya(a picturesque rock temple) and The Sacred Jaya Siri Maha Bodhi at Mahaviharaya/ Mahameghavana Park which is recorded as the oldest surviving historical tree in the world, I took a bus back to Colombo from Anuradhapura New Town at 1pm.

Upon reaching the Pettah bus station in Colombo at 8pm, I spent the night at Classic Inn(0094-114377766) in Panchikawatte Road before leaving for the Bandaranaike Airport at 6am of 15/11 to catch the 12.55pm flight back to Malaysia. In short, I had a marvelous time throught this 8-day-trip. The main differences between Malaysia and Sri Lanka would be on the main religion practised and the number of McDonald outlets.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/…

3. Re: Low-budget @ 1-star hotels near the Galle Railway station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 17:19