We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taipei to Taichung (and vice versa)

Pasay, Philippines
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Taipei to Taichung (and vice versa)

Hi Guys,

I need your help on how we could get to Taichung from Taipei City. We'd really want to get there the cheapest and/or fastest way possible. I'm seeing blogs that are from 2012 and earlier, so I'm not sure if that's still the best way to go.

Thank you all! :)

Edited: 01 April 2015, 06:38
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Taiwan, Taipei, Taichung
Level Contributor
9,943 posts
1. Re: Taipei to Taichung (and vice versa)

Taipei -- Taichung (By Express buses) -- Travel time: About 2 hrs 30 mins.

Taipei -- Taichung (By High Speed Rail trains) -- Travel time: About 50~60 mins. Taichung HSR Station is in Wurih District, the outskirts of Taichung city. It takes about 20 mins bus ride to Taichung downtown. Taichung HSR Station is connected to Xin Wurih TRA Station.

Taipei -- Taichung (By Taiwan Railway Administration trains -- Travel time: About 1 hr 49 mins to 2 hrs 58 mins (depending on type of train).

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
195 posts
536 reviews
2. Re: Taipei to Taichung (and vice versa)

Travelling that route tomorrow 2/4/15... Going by HSR from Central Station Taipei... Business Class is about $1000 TND

…thsrc.com.tw/en/ticket/tic_time_result.asp

Taipei
Level Contributor
2,469 posts
3. Re: Taipei to Taichung (and vice versa)

Taichung is big area, not just a bus/train stop. The best transportation depends on the location your hotel or your destiny.

For example, if you hotel is near Fenjia night market, where there are lots cheap hotel there, then shuttle bus is better for you since the the bus stop is just 1.5km away from the night market. If you take HSR, it take you about 40 minutes more to your hotel in Fenjia night market.

If you destiny is Sun Moon Lake or Cinjing, then HSR could be better since the bus terminal is located at the ground floor.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
195 posts
536 reviews
4. Re: Taipei to Taichung (and vice versa)

Train journey completed... Taipei to Taichung in 48 minutes... Business Class for NT$1000... 4 trains every hour and all on time... Exceptional

Pasay, Philippines
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Taipei to Taichung (and vice versa)

Thanks to everyone that replied. :) We used TR passes to go to taichung. No reserved seats and limited trains, but it saves us a lot in the long run.

Level Contributor
80 posts
6. Re: Taipei to Taichung (and vice versa)

Just back from Taipei, I travel from Taichung back to Taipei bus station, it cost us NT$220 one way and we departed taichung bus station (by Kuo Kong bus) at 7.45am and reached Taipei at about 10.15am.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
92 posts
98 reviews
7. Re: Taipei to Taichung (and vice versa)

I would like to know the frequency of TRA train to/from Taipei and Taichung per day.

Pasay, Philippines
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Taipei to Taichung (and vice versa)

Their website is pretty useful for planning. http://www.railway.gov.tw/en/

When in doubt, you can always ask for information in their information centers.

9. Re: Taipei to Taichung (and vice versa)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2016, 01:16