We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is this enough money

Normanton...
9 posts
Save Topic
is this enough money

me and my friend are going to thailand mid december to the end of feb and we have 8000 australian dollers saved to take with us we have payed for flights already so that would just be for accomidation and living expensices but as none of us have been to any parts of asia before we are unsure weather this is enough money?

any tips or advise were to stay would be much appreciated and a rough idea how much everyday things are

thanks kirby n bobby

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,663 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is this enough money

Hi,

Let's break that down..

AUD 8,000 at today *rough* rate of 31.50 = 252,000

per person = 126,000

"mid December to end of Feb" is 10 weeks so 126,000 divided by 10 = 12,600

So. now we know you'll EACH have 12,600 per person, per week to cover essentially everything on the ground.. Or even smaller that's 1,800 per day per person.

My take... Do-alble? Yes.. BUT.. and here's the wild-card.. it's your accommodations that will be the "make or break" as this is still high season, so prices at most places will be at their highest levels..

You could look around for non-hotel options like short-term apartments, serviced apartments, and the like.. but IF you can get your housing under control, you should be fine.. international food and imported drinks can also be expensive in some venues, but on a proportion basis, it's your housing that's going to be the largest single expense.

If you can find something for say around B10,000/wk or less total (for the two of you) I think you'd be in great shape as that would only be about B700 per person of your daily B1800 budget or about 40%...

Travel Safe,

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
42,545 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is this enough money

Have a look at the full range of accommodation throughout Khao Lak at www.seadragondivecenter.com/accommodation.htm then come back for any information on any that you think may suit you and your budget.

Also look at the various maps here tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k… to locate the main areas that comprise Khao Lak.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,764 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is this enough money

Khao Lak is not a cheap place. I haven't found anything below 1000b in high season. On other part of Thailand every place will ALWAYS discount 30% for a monthly stay, but not in KL...Probably they really work only 6 months per year so in the good 6 months everything will cost twice...

I'm always talking about "nice" places, with A/C, Wifi and Sat TV.....

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,545 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is this enough money

Maurizio,

With respect, I think you are making too sweeping statements. I know the type of accommodation you have been looking for as you've asked me for advice about it. Have you tried looking at hotel rooms or other proprties listed here www.seadragondivecenter.com/accommodation.htm at less than 1000 baht. And to say you will ALWAYS get a 30% discount for a month stay in High Season is just not a credible claim nor is the statement "so in the good 6 months per year everything will cost twice...."

More balanced views please. :-)

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,764 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is this enough money

Arandora, in Samui, the so called most expensive place in Thailand, 30% discount (excluding 20dec/10jan) is normal, room only.

I've been is Samui since 2005 one or more months every winter. And I was never in a 5star resort nor a 500b bungalow with a nice asbesto roof.

I was talking about hotel not rooms/apartment, they probably will cost around 20.000b per month plus electricity, but in Samui they are all in the hills, far from the beach. In 2 weeks time i can give you the average cost in Khao Lak....

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,545 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is this enough money

Phuket, not Samui, is the most expensive tourist resort in Thailand but neither Phuket nor Samui have, in my view, too much in common with Khao Lak, as I hope you will soon find out to your advantage. So comparison with both those places is not really relevant if someone is asking about Khao Lak, particularly if it is based on expectation rather than experience.

Normanton...
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: is this enough money

thanks for the reply everyone it helped alot. what would be the best place to go in thailand for us both value for money wise as we are on a budget we arent to bothered as to were it is we fly to phuket but actully fly out from bagkok so are options are open many

thanks kirby n bobby

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,545 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is this enough money

Your main problem anywhere is that you are visiting over Xmas and New Year which is absolute Peal period with highest prices and least availability even for the cheaper accommodation.

Try Walkers Inn which is very popular with backpackers and travellers on a budget. It has recently added some dormitory rooms for those on even tighter budgets. Great restaurant as well. Located right at the entrance to Bang La On, the main township of Khao Lak where there are loads of restaurants, bars and shops and across the road from Nang Thong Beach.

Contact Andy at walkers.inn@gmail.com

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is this enough money

at karon beach phuket some rooms are 600 baht i would do a long term

cheaper

u need to look around as phuket is not cheap xmas time

10. Re: is this enough money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 18:17
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak