We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chiang mai or Chiang rai

new york
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
Chiang mai or Chiang rai

Where do you spend more time Chiang mai or Chiang rai

9 replies to this topic
Den Haag
Level Contributor
2,427 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Chiang mai or Chiang rai

Chiang Mai, beacause chiang rai is a very small place with less to do. More nature and tribal visits perhaps. Less culture and temples.

new york
Level Contributor
8 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Chiang mai or Chiang rai

Thank you. Actually considering not doing Chiang rai at all. Seems only White Temple

Phuket Town...
9 posts
3. Re: Chiang mai or Chiang rai

That's the sad thing, because of the way Chiang Rai has been promoted, people only know about the Golden Triangle and White Temple. Soooooo much more to discover than this if you have the time. You might find these useful -

thelostpassport.com/things-to-do-in-chiang-r…

https:/…

2 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Chiang mai or Chiang rai

We spent two weeks in Chiang Mai, but we were constantly traveling then and we were simply chilling. We still visited a few cool places. You can read about it here: longwelive.com/chiang-mai-pai-canyon-tour/

longwelive.com/soppong-hilltribe-people-and-…

And if you drive further from Chiang Rsi you'll visit the mountain where Laos and Thailand meet. It incredible. I definitely recommend you visit it : longwelive.com/chiang-rai-phu-chi-fa-summit/

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,823 posts
132 reviews
5. Re: Chiang mai or Chiang rai

Chiang Mai hands down. We stay in the old city, it’s great to wander around.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,374 posts
42 reviews
6. Re: Chiang mai or Chiang rai

You don't say how much time you have to spend?

I've stayed same number of days in both and enjoyed them equally, but if you have only a few days, I'd probably suggest Chiang Mai

Level Contributor
10 posts
52 reviews
7. Re: Chiang mai or Chiang rai

My husband and I are also having the same debate. We are going on our honeymoon to Thailand in December and only have 5 days to spend in the north and are deciding if we should split our time 3 days in Chiang Mai and 2 days in chiang rai. I personally feel that three days doesn’t seem like enough time to really experience Chiang Mai and that getting to chiang rai and from chiang rai to Bangkok is a hassle. I am thinking of staying in Chiang Mai five days but my husband isn’t sure whether to skip chiang rai or not

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
9,755 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Chiang mai or Chiang rai

Yael

Your issue is that you need to allow time to get from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai.

On these trips for both with limited time ,I always advise to fly in one and out of the other...however due to you wanting to reduce the flying ,it becomes a lot of road travel.

It is wat it is. People ant do not want to fly,need to factor in lot me time r less places !!!

Chok Dee

toronto
Level Contributor
856 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: Chiang mai or Chiang rai

@miscy123 that's a great link, thanks.

Comparing Chiang Rai to Chiang Mai is like apples to oranges. The beauty of Chiang Rai is the surrounding area and if you like nature, trekking etc then choose CR over CM. And CR is much less touristy which is a huge plus. Don't even bother with the white temple, its a waste of time IMHO.

Reply to: Chiang mai or Chiang rai
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted