We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riding in Chiang Rai solo trip

Singapore, Singapore
1 post
Riding in Chiang Rai solo trip

Hi, I'm traveling alone to Chiang Rai and was thinking to rent motobike to get around the area. Has any solo ranger does that before? Was it safe and possible?

3 replies to this topic
Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
8,520 posts
91 reviews
1. Re: Riding in Chiang Rai solo trip

Has any solo ranger does that before? ..... yes

Was it safe and possible? ..... yes and yes

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
11,759 posts
172 reviews
2. Re: Riding in Chiang Rai solo trip

Yes I have done this, I should stress though that I have a FULL motorcycle licence and also an international driving permit. I was stopped by the police several times and this documentation was thoroughly examined.

If you do not have the right documentation I would strongly advise against it as not only do you open yourself up to paying lots of "fines" but you will be riding illegally and thus not covered on ANY insurance including your travel insurance which could be very costly if you have an accident and hurt either yourself or another. I would suggest checking your travel insurance anyway as some insurance companies specifically exclude riding a motorcycle.

If you rent a motorcycle examine it carefully point out any existing damage and photograph it before riding off.

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,865 posts
72 reviews
3. Re: Riding in Chiang Rai solo trip

I agree with the above, just be sure to always wear a helmet, to lessen your chances of being stopped, in thousons of kilometers I have driven around many areas of Thailand, I have never been pulled over.

Reply to: Riding in Chiang Rai solo trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted