We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Starting to plan for Chiang Rai JULY 2011

Which Chiang Rai hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Quirindi, Australia
Level Contributor
275 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Starting to plan for Chiang Rai JULY 2011

Thanks to a lovely TA member for pointing us in the direction of Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai :)

We are planning to visit in July next year. Am madly reading through everyones posts and just thought I'd introduce us...we area family of 5. The children will be 15,13 and 4 when we travel over. We've visitied KL and Hong Kong in the past 12mths and can't wait to head over again.

Looking forward to getting to know the forum regulars :):)

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,328 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Starting to plan for Chiang Rai JULY 2011

Keeys:

Welcome!!!! We are delighted to have you on the forum. You will love Chiang Rai and northern Thailand.

I'll be heading over for another trip to Chiang Rai in November of this year so if you have any questions about particular hotels, guesthouses etc., that you'd like me to check out, please feel free to let me know.

Do take a look at the FAQ on the upper right side of the forum page and review some of the many trip reports. Mine trip reports from April 2010 are there but so are many others from some great forum regulars.

I traveled to Thailand with a 16 year old (my niece) in 2008 and I traveled there in 2010, with a 15, 16 and 17 year old. They all had a fantastic trip. There is another regular on our forum, Caroline, one of the Chiang Mai DE's who has traveled with younger children to Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai and I am sure she will be able to offer may tips too.

Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Broder

Quirindi, Australia
Level Contributor
275 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Starting to plan for Chiang Rai JULY 2011

Thanks Broder :)

It was Caroline who pointed me in this direction ;) We've bumped into each other on the KL forum for the last couple of years and I've been stalking her trip updates hehe

Reading up, adding lots to my fav's :):)

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Starting to plan for Chiang Rai JULY 2011

Please send through any questions keeys - I know it's still a way off - but if we can give any advice about places to stay etc - just ask.....

Caroline.

Gunnedah, Australia
Level Contributor
316 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Starting to plan for Chiang Rai JULY 2011

Hi Keeys, Caroline and Broder.

We too are starting our research for our first trip to Northern Thailand for next year. It will probably be July as well. Have previously been to Thailand in July and it was great. It got us a few weeks away from the cold Australian winter and everything is much cheaper.

My children will be 16, 15 and 10 by the time we travel. The more research I do the longer the holiday becomes!! I'm sure we will be crossing paths on this wonderful forum over the coming months.

Cheers

Denise :))

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Starting to plan for Chiang Rai JULY 2011

Hi Denise,

Happy planning.

Between us we have taken a number of kiddies and teens through the Nth of Thailand. Ask away.....

My brother recently spent nearly two weeks in the Nth with his 3 teenage children as well.

Lots of fun - adventure and new experiences.

Caroline.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Chiang Rai, Chiang Rai Province
Level Contributor
3,328 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Starting to plan for Chiang Rai JULY 2011

Denise:

Can't wait to hear more about your trip planning! Do let us know what we can do to assist.

I'll be there in November and will likely do posts to this forum every day or two while in Chiang Rai and Northern Thailand.

Safe Travels,

Broder

Gunnedah, Australia
Level Contributor
316 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Starting to plan for Chiang Rai JULY 2011

Thanks Caroline and Broder

I just love this forum. We have not booked yet .......waiting for sale airfares!

We booked our whole Thailand trip last year from all the advice on TA and everything was perfect. Spent 2 weeks in Thailand staying in Phuket, Bangkok and Kanchanaburi. Really looking forward to spending time in the north this next trip.

Thailand and its people are beautiful. It is a very easy place to fall in love with.

PS Caroline we will also spend a couple of days in Kuala Lumpur before we head to Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai so I'm sure I'll have some questions for you on the KL forum! We did an overnight stopover there last year, just to shop, this time want to see some sites.........and shop of course. I will see if I can beat your shoe buying record!!

Speak to you all soon

Denise

Edited: 09 September 2010, 04:30
Quirindi, Australia
Level Contributor
275 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Starting to plan for Chiang Rai JULY 2011

Kitty I just noticed you are from Gunnedah? Is that right? We live in Quirindi....what are the chances?? I actually work in gunnedah a few days a month.

We haven't booked out flights from KL to CM yet either...like you waiting for a sale.

I check the forum every day or 2 and jot down hints and tips along the way. Like you we've used the forum for previous trips to KL and Hong Kong without a hitch thanks to helpful tripadvisors :)

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Starting to plan for Chiang Rai JULY 2011

That's funny :-) I think that record has been beaten a few times. I am still pulling out new pairs of unworn shoes from three trips to KL in six months. Feeling very spoilt. It is a great stop over city - heaps to do and see. Great for kids as well. I went with my brother and his family in June so got to shop with my teenage nieces which was great fun. We shopped until we limped back to the hotel - had a drink and then went out again. Oh for a night out at the Sky Bar right now.....

If you love Thailand, you will just fall in love with the Nth. In my opinion it has all the best bits of Thailand to see and discover. Also very affordable for family travel. My boys are addicted to foot massages and for about $3A a go who wouldn't be. Food is fabulous as well. You will just love the whole experience.

Happy to help with recommending any hotels, trips, things to do etc.

But - beware - not only are these forums addictive - the Nth of Thailand is very very addictive as well. You go once, you go again and then you find you are spending your time trying to work out how to get back asap - and then you move there. That's the story of a lot of forum members anyway - so just watch what you are starting..... a great adventure.

Caroline.

Edited: 09 September 2010, 06:22
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Starting to plan for Chiang Rai JULY 2011

What a co-incidence.

Denise - I also meant to say that if you have the time it is an excellent idea to spend a few days in KL on the way over. On the way back from Chiang Mai the flight connects with the Aussie flights - but coming over you miss it.

When we went in April Gold Coast to KL to Chiang Mai we spent one night in transit at Tune Hotel at the LCCT in KL. Big mistake.

It was horrible. Noisy, hot, tiny rooms and so frustrating to be actually in KL and still be an hour away from the city, great food etc. All we wanted to do was to get in a cab and go into the city, but our flight left at 7am and it was just not doable.

In the future I will make sure I always build in at least one day in KL and get into the city.

We have a wonderful driver in KL called CK. He and his wife Susan are lovely people. He has a van and has become a great friend to us. He loves kids and is very kind and quietly spoken. If you need any help with the KL leg as well with details like this, just call.

Also - when you know your flight times book in with Jermsak in Chiang Rai. He seems to have a few months of the year when he gets very busy and mid year next year is shaping up to be like that. He is an amazing man and will add so many layers to your trip that you will never expect.

Caroline.