We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A long weekend in Antalya. Advice please.

Level Contributor
63 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
A long weekend in Antalya. Advice please.

Planning a long weekend in Antalya with my husband in July. Been to there once & have seen the major historical sites around. Now, thinking to visit Demre & Finicke in that direction or up to Salda lake or to Side?

Any advice/ tips would be highly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

7 replies to this topic
Romania
Level Contributor
37 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A long weekend in Antalya. Advice please.

I haven't benn to Salda Lake but been to Demre and Side.

If you choose Side, on the way you can visit Termessos, Perge, Aspendos, Manavgat Waterfalls and of course, Side itself which is a nice town with a few historical attractions.

On the way to Demre you can visit Phaselis, go to Mt.Tahtall by Teleferik, go to Kumluca Market (Friday) and visit Sunken City at Kekova.

The road from Antalya to Demre is more spectacular in terms of landscapes, but it is longer.

Both goals give you satisfaction, but it depends on what you want.

Level Contributor
63 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A long weekend in Antalya. Advice please.

Thanks for your tips.

We have done all those attractions you mentioned to Side on our last visit. Is it nice to stay just in Side for 2 nights?

The way to Demre sounds interesting as we haven not visited those attractions you mentioned, apart from the Sunken city.

Is Demre a nice place to stay for two nights? We will return to Antalya for our return flight.

Many thanks again!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
3,673 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A long weekend in Antalya. Advice please.

If you have been east along the coast to Side, the western coast towards Demre is much more scenic. I don't think Demre is an attractive town, it's quite modern, concrete, not really the place to stay. You would be better off staying in Cirali, Olympos or Adrasan to visit the ancient sites of Phaselis and Olympos nearby and going to Demre as a day trip.

Turkish...
Level Contributor
231 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A long weekend in Antalya. Advice please.

At the west coast you can visit mount Chimaera too, it's spectacular with flaming fires all day long.

And by the mountain I drunk the best tea ever, in small place just by the parking.

Romania
Level Contributor
37 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A long weekend in Antalya. Advice please.

I wouldn't choose Demre as a base.

I'll follow Scousemouse suggestion which is in fact related with the post nr,4-Pacho Tour.

If you choose Cirali /Olympos it;s very easy to visit Chimaera. Also Tahtall Mt. (Teleferik) and Phaselis are very close.

And the scenary is beautiful. In fact, at the end of Augusy I'll be in Cirali for a few days

Level Contributor
63 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A long weekend in Antalya. Advice please.

Thanks so much for all your useful tips. Really appreciated it. We will not stay in Demre. We stopped in Cirali last time for lunch & the Olympos ruins last time. It looks very peaceful there. Think we'll stay in Adrasan this time. Heard it's very nice too. In fact, is there anything to see or to do in Demre? We have already seen the Sunken city in Kelova on our last visit.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
3,673 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A long weekend in Antalya. Advice please.

The ancient city of Myra is just north of Demre and the Church of St Nicholas is in the town but usually full of Russian coach parties. www.lycianturkey.com/lycian_sites/myra.htm

If you stay in Adrasan look for a B&B on the river such as Arikanda River Garden, it is very peaceful (may be busier in July than when we stayed in October!).

Reply to: A long weekend in Antalya. Advice please.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted