We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money

Manchester, United...
6 posts
Money

Hi my husband and I are going to Antalya in February for a week. Looking at taking Turkish Lira but was told thats not the best currency to use. Also how much are things uust as a rough guide to how much we will need to take.

Thank you

13 replies to this topic
Istanbul
Level Contributor
1,641 posts
127 reviews
1. Re: Money

Turkish Lira is the legal currency of Turkey. Therefore, all transactions made in Turkish Lira… It is advised to bring GBP or EUR or USD with you and exchange when you are in Turkey…

Your holiday budget depends on what you are planning to do and where you are staying… If you stay in an all inclusive resort/hotel, than you almost do not have to spend anything inside the hotel…

Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
9,771 posts
29 reviews
2. Re: Money

Don't change GBP to Euro before coming though. Waste of time and money!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,651 posts
122 reviews
3. Re: Money

And don’t worry what currency prices are shown in, just tell them you’re paying in Lira. Many tourist shops show prices in Euros for the convenience of the many Eurozone visitors, but you will generally get a much better deal paying in TL.

Either take a small amount with you and then change up your sterling as you need to, or withdraw your TL from an ATM. The exchange rate for sterling to TL is fantastic at the moment, and you will always get an even better rate of exchange in Turkey than you will here.

If you’re paying for anything in your hotel like spa treatments or a la cartes, you can pay by card.

Level Contributor
18 posts
4. Re: Money

Currently in Antalya. I'm seeing 7.9ish rates offered per 1 GBP locally.

I purchased 2500TL at a rate of 8.44 back in London two weeks before I arrived. So if the rate sounds good at home and you don't mind carrying cash over with you, then go for it!

Istanbul
Level Contributor
3,058 posts
13 reviews
5. Re: Money

The rate was higher two weeks ago, so that's not too surprising. (The Central Bank jacked up interest rates by nearly 5% in the interim.)

Derbshire
Level Contributor
288 posts
32 reviews
6. Re: Money

Been five time over the last five years - Only ever taken and used Lira.

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
13 reviews
7. Re: Money

I am in bodrum at the moment and because I have never been to bodrum before I expected lira to be king here and am very surprised that like in belek it was cheaper in some tourist places if you payed in euro. But for the first time In turkey I found there where also places it’s was cheaper using lira.

All very confusing so it was a good job I was carrying both Euro and lira.

I just wish they would ban traders from taking anything but lira. It Would make life easier

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
8. Re: Money

The Doviz are showing...8.2196 as I type this, but i think that is the interbank rate, and if thats correc,t then what double rm is getting in bodrum sounds about right at 7.9.

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
9. Re: Money

It looks like what you see on the Doviz web site is slightly higher than in their shops,....website=interbank rate, shop=tourist rates?

Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
9,771 posts
29 reviews
10. Re: Money

As long as tourists bring Euro etc they'll accept them..... Bit of a circle going on.

Reply to: Money
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted