We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kas advice and suggestions

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Kas advice and suggestions

Hello!

We are visiting Kas at the end of the month and would love some tips - it'll be our first time there or in Turkey at all.

We're thinking about a boat trip either round the Kekova sound/ sunken city, or to Meis (or both?!). Any suggestions for operators?

The world cup is on while we're there and it would be nice to watch a couple of games somewhere not rowdy/ laddish... I get the impression Kas isn't like this anyway, but can you recommend a good place to watch a game or two? I know Turkey are not in the tournament... is there a particular team locals are likely to be supporting?

Other things we're thinking of doing include walking the Lycian Way, walking up to the amphitheatre, visiting Kaputas beach, getting a dolmus to Patara, visiting Arycanda, Tlos or Myra...

Any advice/ recommendations along these lines?

And eating wise, we're keen to try plenty of traditional/ local food... any suggestions for 'ev yemeleri' places?

Sorry for so many questions at one - looking forward to reading your tips!

Thank you :)

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
3,563 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kas advice and suggestions

If you have a week or more in Kas I would definitely suggest both Meis and Kekova, quite different experiences. The boats to Kekova were not running last time due to weather forecast but we were able to run over to a nearby travel agent just in time for a boat tour travelling by mini-bus to Ucagiz which was fine, nice meal on board too.

Walking to the theatre on the peninsula is easy, also a dolmus to Kaputas Beach, Kalkan, Patara (Xanthos too) and in the opposite direction Myra (Demre).

Maybe a jeep safari/tour to Saklikent and Tlos?

Put Lycian Way in search box for this forum, I haven't got time this morning to explain, off to Rhodes in a couple of hours, will post when I get back if your other queries haven't been answered by our knowledgeable posters!

Warwick, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kas advice and suggestions

We will be there in the middle of the month too, so any advice would be appreciated here too :)

wigan
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kas advice and suggestions

Sorry to be brief cooking tea !

Bouganville travel is a good plan of action to start with plenty of trips from there.

Dolmus to Kapatas beach , for a couple of hours.

All of the above from Scouse Mouse .

Also just check weather when booking for Kekova can be a bit choppy in the wind on the way and coming back in to Kas. Can also go by bus then get boat when there. Whichever way it is a must.

I am going end of month too , been going for 22 years , it will draw you back once you visit once . ENJOY !!

Worcestershire
Level Contributor
246 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kas advice and suggestions

Hi Joe

Blimey, wanderer, you are almost a local! We are also coming for a week at the end of June, a return visit after our holiday in Kas last year - couldn't keep away!

We did the Meis trip, which was lovely and we will probably go again this year. Had a car, so drove to Kekova and hired a local boat to have a trip around the ruins, which we loved. It was very reasonable and the captain was very knowledgeable. We had a very nice lunch there when we came back, I can't remember the name of the restaurant, it was right by the water though. We also did Saklikent Gorge, which was good, we had a guide (he was a turkish wrestler!) and we went right to the end - quite exciting, especially for me not being very brave scrambling around over rocks in water! Patara beach was great and we went around the ruins after the beach closed for the evening - it was magical! Had a boat trip with Capt Garlic Ali (lots of reviews on here).

One of the girls went paragliding, I think that was with Bougainville Travel and she loved that. Kas is a beautiful place, with nice people and that's why we get hooked!!

Shout if you need any more help. Have a great holiday, folks - might see you around Kas! Oh, not sure about the World Cup being shown, we were there when Wimbledon was on last year and that wasn't on anywhere, although it was in Kalkan when we nipped over there for a nosey.

FFF

Table View, South...
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kas advice and suggestions

The Kekova restaurant FabFortyFive is referring to is called Likya Cafe & Restaurant, got it of one of my photos.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kas advice and suggestions

So excited to be reading your posts- my husband and I are going to Kas at the end of June as well! It will be my second time. This place is heaven and I can't wait to return. Thank you for your suggestions. Last time I went to Meis and I remember it took almost a full day. We only have 3 full days to plan activities. Suggestions for the 3 best days in Kas? Thank you!

wigan
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kas advice and suggestions

My TOP Kas destination for a day trip is certainly Kekova without a doubt book with above company.

FabFortyFive look out for me slim , short brown hair 5 foot 7 , friendly , usually found relaxing in bars restaurants in the evening with my boyfriend ! Enjoy .

Worcestershire
Level Contributor
246 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kas advice and suggestions

Hi Petrus, yes that could have been the one. We went upstairs for a late lunch they had a great array of mezes. We had so much food (they were very generous!) we could hardly move afterwards! My poor but enthusiastic attempts at Turkish kept our waiter laughing - he was a really lovely guy!

Didihardy, yes Kekova was great, think you'd enjoy that. Sakklikent Gorge was fun, but Patara beach and the ruins was fab! We spent the whole day at Meis, visited the Blue Cave, paddled and pottered on the beach bit, sat by the harbour and watched the turtles. Ate (a lot, again!), drank, did a bit of impromptu Greek dancing in a cafe (there were a few of us,not just me I hasten to add!!). Nice day. Depends what you like to do and if you like non stop action or just chilling.

Wanderer - I will! I will be with my other half plus two daughters - 20 and 18, still like to come on holiday with us despite himself thinking it's time they did their own thing!! They're not daft - a free holiday is a free holiday! Personally, I love it that they don't mind being see with us, except when Greek dancing, that's going a bit far!

See you in beautiful Kas!!

FFF

wigan
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kas advice and suggestions

FFF just had a look at your picture , will lookout for you guys , arriving from the 28th for 9 nights ! Woo hoo.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kas advice and suggestions

Thanks for all the suggestions - really helpful!

What sort of price are the boat trips, and is haggling the norm? From the posts above it is very tempting to do both Meis and Kekova sound. a Saklikent gorge trip sounds good too!

We definitely want to have some relaxed days around Kas too, so will have to work out what we can fit in.

Any good suggestions for places to swim/ relax in Kas itself? I get the impression there's a couple of small rocky beaches, some swimming platforms from the rocks, and hotel pools which you can use if buying drinks etc there... any of which could be lovely, so tips welcome.

And still after any nice places to watch a bit of the world cup if anyone knows of any.

We'll be there for a week from 23rd - cant wait, just counting down the days at the moment!