We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kas advice and suggestions

Bristol, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
Kas advice and suggestions

Hello!

We are visiting Kas at the end of the month and would love some tips - it'll be our first time there or in Turkey at all.

We're thinking about a boat trip either round the Kekova sound/ sunken city, or to Meis (or both?!). Any suggestions for operators?

The world cup is on while we're there and it would be nice to watch a couple of games somewhere not rowdy/ laddish... I get the impression Kas isn't like this anyway, but can you recommend a good place to watch a game or two? I know Turkey are not in the tournament... is there a particular team locals are likely to be supporting?

Other things we're thinking of doing include walking the Lycian Way, walking up to the amphitheatre, visiting Kaputas beach, getting a dolmus to Patara, visiting Arycanda, Tlos or Myra...

Any advice/ recommendations along these lines?

And eating wise, we're keen to try plenty of traditional/ local food... any suggestions for 'ev yemeleri' places?

Sorry for so many questions at one - looking forward to reading your tips!

Thank you :)

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
3,028 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Kas advice and suggestions

How awful, we always stopped for a cay in the tea garden, it's part of local tradition.

Bristol, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Kas advice and suggestions

Thanks for all the tips everyone - we had an awesome time in Kas!

Stayed at Ates pension, which was a basic room but great value with a beautiful roof terrace with panoramic views, and worth the money for the breakfast buffet alone. Frienfly family that run it too, very helpfl with advice and suggestions.

During the week we:

-Did the Kekova boat trip with Bermuda boat (60 TL) which was a great day out with a few swimming stops, saw the sunken city, a few turtles, great views from Simena, lovely BBQ/ mezze lunch and generally enjoying the views from the sea

-Visited the Friday market and got some beautiful ceramics and bits and bobs at great prices after a fair bit of haggling/ getting hugely reduced offers when (genuinely) walking away.

-Visited Patara (lovely long sandy beach, bit of a crock as you are charged to go to the beach/ ruins on the road down using the dolmus which we were not aware of, and then on a bit of beach surrounded by other english people - as its about 15km long I'm sure the locals access it in a different (free) way. Still, 5 TL per person so not the end of the world)

-Visited Kaputas - beautiful cove and small shingle beach. Due to many steps but not many facilities this felt a little less touristy and more to our tastes. Stunning scenery and easy to get to on the dolmus for about 5TL each way.

-Sat in the amphitheatre. After guessing where it might be and walking miles up hill in the wrong direction on the first evening, we looked on a map and realised it was about 100 yards from our hostel! Really nice peaceful spot to watch the sunset with a beer, with amazing views of Kas and Meis.

-Did lots of swimming. Aside from the beaches above, we mainly swam and sunbathed at a swimming platform 2 minutes from our pension - below Kas Hotel. Great little spot with more superb views, crystal clear water (accessible by steps or a diving platform) with lots of rocky nooks perfect for snorkeling, and a little bar with a basic menu at reasonable prices.

-Pottered about in Kas. It's a really pretty town and although it's very small, with all the little lanes we found we kept coming across new things, and didn't tire of the streets in which we seemed to find ourselves in repeatedly. We're not big shoppers but there were some lovely things around - we mainly bought souvenirs like fridge magnets, plus a couple of very cool mosaic glass lamps which we couldn't resist.

-Ate and drank lots of delicious things! I don't think we had a bad meal in Kas, and ate in quite a range of places - some more touristy than others, but none were disappointing. A couple of highlights were mezzes in Bi Lokma (Mamma's Kitchen), a fancier meal in Dolphin (delicious - despite the mediocre reviews on here I've just seen, and reassuringly mainly Turkish people while we were there) and some awesome ginger mojitos in Kuytu (unfortunately their Thai meals weren't particularly Thai flavoured, but maybe we should have stuck to more Turkish fare!). Also must give some bonus points to Queen cocktail bar... we were walking about for ages trying to find somewhere we could watch Ghana v Portugal in the world cup, but unsurprisingly everywhere else was playing Germany v USA which was on at the same time. They offered to put it on the TV upstairs for us, resulting in us having a rooftop terrace with views over the harbour to ourselves in which to watch it!

All in all a brilliant week, the perfect balance of activity and lazing in the sun for us and in such a beautiful location with friendly people. Loads more we didn't get to do... maybe we'll just have to go back to tick some more things off!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
3,028 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Kas advice and suggestions

What a brilliant review of your week in Kas, Joe!

If everyone bothered to come back on the forum and tell us what they had done while they were away it would be a lot easier for future travellers to find the information. Years ago, when we first came over the top of the hill from Antalya on the bus, we said "Wow, what a view" and that beautiful location still draws us back, the friendliness of the people and the feel of the town are all part of it. It sounds as though you had a lovely time, did all of the things that we do when we stay in Kas, a few days here a few days there and why don't we stay in Kas for a couple of days? I am sure it won't be your last visit either.

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Kas advice and suggestions

Yes, great review Joe, thanks for posting. Pleased that you had a great time.

Scousemouse - I have to agree about the view when you come over the hill, it is spectacular.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
25. Re: Kas advice and suggestions

Going to Kas (the peninsular) but only for 5 days at the resort-is it worth the journey-as from London almost 2 days travelling?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
3,028 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Kas advice and suggestions

I wonder why it is only 5 days, are you flying into Antalya, then travelling by bus? The holiday starts as soon as you leave the airport, the sights, sounds and knowing you are in a different country, continent in fact. A short holiday is what you make of it, the more you do the longer it seems to last. My daughter and I just had a long weekend in Rhodes from here up north, she complained it was hardly worth going but at the end of our stay said that it felt like she had been away for ages, we packed a lot in though! I have also had a few days in Turkey when I took a shortened break rather than cancel a holiday all together, so is it worth going?

YES, especially to Kas!

Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Kas advice and suggestions

Just spent the most wonderful day in Kas & Carry carpet shop with Hayri Yaymaci, the most unassuming man you could wish for. The carpet shop is almost next to the harbour car park and well worth a visit if you want to expand your education on all things carpet, Kilim etc. we actually drove over from Kalkan having had a less than pleasant experience with the carpet man there and were pleasantly surprised to meet Hayri, who to be honest was more interested in telling us about the history of carpets, the difference between fact and fiction in relation to Kilims in particular, natural dyes vs chemical ones, how they fade over time etc etc.

While there he recommended a wonderful barber shop where I had a shave, haircut, shampoo and head massage. The barber then recommended the most fantastic restaurant, Kasim's who in turn pointed us in the direction of a Hammam. Back at Hayri's we were greeted with open arms and more recommendations of other places in the vicinity to visit.

All in all a lovely day and an afternoon at Kaputa topped off a great day.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Kas advice and suggestions

Hi where was the barbers? my husband always enjoys a haircut and a shave on holiday and its our first time to Kas, what do they charge?

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Kas advice and suggestions

Just to say a big thank you to JoeMShark, as other reviewers said if everyone could do a review like that our lives would be easier. I got the idea and will try to review after trips too. tks a lot. We are heading to Kas on the beginning of October and will definitely get some of yours ideas. Have a good one!

Kaş, Türkiye
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Kas advice and suggestions

If you wanna do day tour by boat from Kaş just come to harbour before one or two days just ask to captains they will give you good info and most of the boat in Kaş is service best food you will love it.

All the tours are starting around 10:00 return to Kaş 18:00

The prices is diferent for Kekova day tour with big boats with 40-50 people 60₺ small boat are takeing onliy 12 person cost 100₺ island tour is 80₺ to 100₺ per person with lunch,fruit and hot drinks.meis island tour is 75 ₺

Cap.Osman

Get answers to your questions about Kas
Recent Conversations