We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency

essex
Level Contributor
37 posts
3 reviews
Currency

Sorry if been asked before but as a previous visitor to Marmaris we always used Sterling and it was widely accepted .. Just been told this eve that in Side Euro is the currency of choice . Please can someone update as we leave on Monday ..TY ..

19 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,645 posts
122 reviews
1. Re: Currency

Prices are often shown in Euros for the convenience of the many Eurozone visitors, but Lira will always be accepted, so just tell them that’s what you’re paying in. With the current sterling to Lira exchange rate being so good at the moment, take advantage of it!

Norrbotten County...
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
2. Re: Currency

But doesn’t the real benefit of the low lira rate sort of get lost when the items are priced in euros etc? I’m thinking that if an item is priced 3€ they just pick up their phone when you say you want to pay in lira and convert the price to say 20Tl? If the lira then drops again they convert it to 25 instead.

I might be stupid but I can’t get it 😂 anyway, the ultimate question for Turkish forums seems to be currency. And the answer seems to be lira, always lira.

Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
9,746 posts
29 reviews
3. Re: Currency

Plus there is starting to be a real clamp down on this trading in other currencies. OK it has started with property prices. They can only be advertised in Lira but hopefully it will soon filter down to do away with this. Turkish Lira is the currency of Turkey. How do you think those of us that live here cope? We pay in Lira!! Everywhere.

Edited: 14 September 2018, 23:56
Level Contributor
70 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Currency

I'm here now, mainly used lira, but have used Euro and gbp you can pay how you like, not much difference in price whatever you use but change is given in Euros. Best exchange rate at the post office

Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
9,746 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: Currency

No change is NOT given in Euros in Turkey I live here and never, never ever have been given change in anything but Turkish Lira.

They may try it with gullible tourists so they don't end up with a load of coins they cannot exchange.

For goodness sake people would you expect to go into a shop in the UK and pay in Euros or be given change in Euro when you have paid in £s.

Carry on with supporting this facade of Euros/Dollars being the currency and watch the Turkey you all claim to love collapse financially. Then moan about price rises as the honest traders attempt to claw back the economy.

If you want to spend Euros be my guest - in Spain, Greece, Portugal or another Euro Zone country.

Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: Currency

I arrived back yesterday and only used lira. Spoke to another couple in our hotel who had changed sterling into euro's and then had to change their money into lira as they said they were getting a really poor deal.

Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
9,746 posts
29 reviews
7. Re: Currency

So they also lost out with changing their money twice :o(

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
40 posts
8. Re: Currency

So, what your saying VIP is bo****ks to the euro, pay in TL, ?..only joking, calm down.

Nottinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
13 reviews
9. Re: Currency

Vip is the best DE this forum could have and has been so helpful to me and so many others here

But as a tourist I have to agree with what Lisa r is saying.

In Antalya area a a tourist I got fed up of being given change in euro ( even at the airport ) I no longer take lira to spend in shops. I do however take lira to tip with in hotel.

Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
9,746 posts
29 reviews
10. Re: Currency

Calamara I find your comment quite offensive and uncalled for.

Between us we must answer this currency question at least twice a day on the forums. There must be several easily searched for threads. Also there's an urban myth rattling around that Euros will get the best deal which is unfounded and explained time after time.

Tell you what I'll not bother to answer any more questions on this. Thanks for your input as I am obviously not able to give advice on this.

Edited: 16 September 2018, 15:42
Reply to: Currency
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted