We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tips for staff......help...

Which Side hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cleveland, england
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Topic
tips for staff......help...

hay there..

going to turkey for first time in 7 weeks and just wondered what the metods of tipping is best..

we are satying all inclusive at blue waters in side and not sure how when to yip and also what currency is best??

also any other advice tip about area would be appreciated..

many thanks

Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
6,669 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tips for staff......help...

Lovely of you to consider the staff - too many people forget to tip at All İnclusives. Easily done when you don't actually have to pay a bill so therefore no change!

Most currencies will be gratefully received but remember the staff cannot change coins so Lira would be best maybe.

İt is entirely up to you when you tip. İf you get excellent service from someone it would be nice to show your appreciation at the time. Leaving a tip in your room at the end of your stay for the housekeeping staff is perfectly acceptable. i also used to leave toiletries etc.

İf you get a taxi a few lira tip is appreciated. Also for hairdressers - İ usually give between 10-15% of the bill.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
708 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tips for staff......help...

hi i always get a load of 5 and 10 lira notes wen i change my money so i have money for tips and give them out wen i an looked after. The staff earn low wages and work long hours so a little extra is much appreciated. Angie

Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
6,669 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tips for staff......help...

Well said Angie

The wages are very low and in some places the staff don't get their full pay until the end of the season (İ won't name where!!) so they are very reliant on tips throughout the season.

To put it in context a bit a packet of cigarettes start at about 5 lira, a local haircut the same. Toiletries are relatively expensive - for example a good deoderant is around 6 lira. All essentials to many staff!

İt's nice as well to give the tip directly to the person who has given the good service.

cleveland, england
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: tips for staff......help...

thank for all replies..

yeah i always leave tips for staff and also take extra toiletries when i travel abroad as goodwill gestures..

scotland
Level Contributor
4,090 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tips for staff......help...

and ( some kind person gave me this tip last year) they love UK chocolate. I brought some as gifts . last year and it went down very well

I make sure I tip as much as I can afford..Most staff are worth it with the great sevice they give

Edited: 24 April 2012, 13:55
Reading, United...
Level Contributor
708 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tips for staff......help...

dont forget some parts of turkey just open between may til october and what they earn has to last in the closed season. Angie

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,809 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tips for staff......help...

just wanted to add dont forget to take money for Tips..( the waiters, bar staff and housecleaning staff )

these people world long hard hours to provide you service and their monthly wages are not that high

It is customary to leave a tip in restaurants (10%), for hotel chambermaids, in reception for hotel staff . Taxi drivers do not normally expect a tip, but they do appreciate it, and it's acceptable to "round up" the fare. So if you're charged 4.5 TL it's usual to give the driver 5 TL. Hairdressers also get tips, similar to the UK.

turkeytravelplanner.com/details/…Tipping.html

Housekeeper - Tip: 2 liras a day or if you want to be a bit more generous 2 euros per day in a moderate hotel, more in a deluxe hotel. but its up to you. (Tipping daily rather than when you check out ensures that the tip will go to the specific person who cleaned your room.)

I think liras would be best but I dont think anyone would not want or accept foriegn currency..Just go with what you feel is appropriate, there is no exact science and you're not expected to tip either...but it is a nice gesture especially when you receive good service.

here is an example of what I would tip when I have ate out in a restaurant..last week I had dinner with friends and the bill came to 109.00 turkish liras..I gave a 15 lira tip..as I felt 10 liras might be a littke cheap on my part.

most restaurants I would tip but if I received bad service I would not.I even tip the pizza guy 1.5 or 2 liras when he brings my delivery to the house.

8. Re: tips for staff......help...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 19:16