We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Category 1 cyclone

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,975 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Category 1 cyclone

Tropical Storm Risk site shows a category 1 cyclone approaching the Phillipines at the moment and is tracking towards the northwest. This system will affect the weather along the central coast of Vietnam from next Thursday. Travellers to Nha Trang, Hoi An and Da Nang should keep an eye on forecasts over the next 6 days.

Cheers Ross

Mentioned in this post
Nha Trang
Nha Trang
Khanh Hoa Province, Vietnam
Hoi An
Hoi An
Quang Nam Province, Vietnam
Da Nang
Da Nang
Quang Nam Province, Vietnam
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
7,960 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Category 1 cyclone

Ross,

All indications are that the second system will veer northeastwardly off the coast of the Philippines, toward Japan.

I don't think it will affect Viet Nam in any way.

However, it is still the rainy season.

There has been rain going on in various parts of the south and central as usual around this time of the year.

John

Mentioned in this post
pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,975 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Category 1 cyclone

John TSR shows that Matmo is tracking Northwest and is forecast to travel south of Taiwan, not Japan, but not south enough for Vietnam to be affected except with the associated rain. It is only a storm at this point but is expected to form Category 1 within 96 hours.

China seems to be getting a drenching.

Cheers Ross

Mentioned in this post
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Category 1 cyclone

This is all so helpful everyone, thanks.

Roodlez, I have asked my tour company and they have said they're heading out tomorrow, and our trip on Monday has NOT been cancelled. I don't know what to trust - all the weather sites state all those areas are heavily affected - but perhaps by Monday it will be gone!? We were planning to fly into Haiphong and hydrofoil to Cat Ba from there but I'm hesitant. Don't want to be stuck in Haiphong if it's rained out!!!

Are the impending weather issues you are referring to still fairly bad?

thanks

Mentioned in this post
Cat Ba
Cat Ba
Vietnam
Melbourne
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Category 1 cyclone

We are scheduled to fly to Hanoi tomorrow morning (21st July) and are unsure whether to change plans or not. We have also booked and paid for a Ha Long Bay cruise for the 22nd with V'Spirit tours and as yet this has not been cancelled, but with all the proposed flooding will it likely be unsafe there?

I have read through this stream and am finding, like many of you, that of the limited information available, much of it is conflicting or outdated. As the conditions are constantly changing, does anyone have any advice on whether it is safe to travel to and be in Hanoi/Ha Long bay this week? We will be leaving again on the 25th.

Any more recent information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Hoi An, Vietnam
Level Contributor
881 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Category 1 cyclone

I totally understand your concerns, but extreme weather is very hard to predict. Rammasun ended up skirting the far north of Vietnam and escaped the worst, the track change was not predicted until the last 24 hours prior to landfall.

The Fillipines and Japan both have very good typhoon tracking sites, but both had different tracking paths for Rammasun and the latest contender Henry/Matmo.

Henry/Matmo looks (for now) to be heading towards Taiwan, which should leave Ha Noi with a heap of rain and Ha Long facing rough waters, I imagine boats will not be going out - but you never know!

So in answer to your question - it is safe to go to Ha Noi, but there is a high chance that you will be unable to do the Ha Long Bay cruise.

Mentioned in this post
46. Re: Category 1 cyclone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2015, 00:15