We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for a student?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
32 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for a student?

I'm a 20 (nearly 21) year old female student who is going to be studying abroad for 4 months at the Nagoya University of Arts from the end of March till the beginning of August. Does anyone have any advice for me? Particular things I'm wondering about are:

- What should I do about money/my debit card?

- What is the best way to get some data and minutes etc on my phone for using social media and texting/calling people in Japan?

- How do I go about applying for that medication form? (I can't remember the name, sorry!)

- How easy is it to get free wifi around the city?

- How much Japanese will I realistically have to know?

Any other advice would be much appreciated!!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for a student?

>>- What should I do about money/my debit card?<<

International bank debit cards are accepted at 7-11 and Japan Post Bank. Do you have a Credit Card as a back up? Bring also cash as a back-up.

>>- What is the best way to get some data and minutes etc on my phone for using social media and texting/calling people in Japan?<<

I think the best way could be just using ground phone; bring a laptop for internet. If you really do need a cell phone, check with your phone company whether your phone meets the standards in Japan and can change the SIM card. There are several SIM deals available at electronic stores like Yodobashi and Bic Camera like Iijmio.

>>- How do I go about applying for that medication form? (I can't remember the name, sorry!)<<

For Yakkan Shomei, do check its official website. It's all there and you need to be truly serious about it if you need it.

>>- How easy is it to get free wifi around the city?<<

Not hard but don't expect free wifi to be very practical. It is available for a limited time at certain places such as McDonalds, Seven-Eleven, Denny's, Komeda's Coffee, Ueshima Coffee, etc.

>>- How much Japanese will I realistically have to know?<<

Japanese is the one and only public language in Japan. English has no status or usage as in former British colonies like Singapore or Hong Kong. Having said that, in order to survive and for daily basic necessities, English should get you along. Not for more sophisticated matters though.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for a student?

I hope they are organising your visa, as visitors can usually only stay for 3 months (6 months for some nationals like British, Irish, Austrian etc), such as short-term student visa.

#1 Just use your debit/ATM card to withdraw cash at 7-Eleven stores or post offices. Check how much your card issuer charges for using your card in Japan. Take a credit card too.

#2 Plenty of data SIMs on sale. Go to a big electronic store like Yodobashi Camera or BicCamera, where there is extensive selection. You need an unlocked 3G/4G phone or pocket wifi adaptor.

#3 You can download from Ministry of Health site at mhlw.go.jp/english/…01.html

#4 Fairly easy if you know where to look, such as Starbucks, certain stations etc. Rely on data SIM and wifi at your accommodation.

#5 Hard to say. Most Japanese will speak to you in Japanese and expect you to understand. You should be able to pick up everyday conversation fairly easily, but anything more than that requires proper lessons, lots of efforts and time! Forget about reading and writing Japanese, especially with kanji - Chinese characters. It takes Japanese children 9 years of full-time schooling to master the basics.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for a student?

Do check Japan-Guide, official websites of your local administration (Aichi Prefecture, Nagoya City, and which Ward?), as well as wikipedia.

4. Re: Advice for a student?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2017, 01:15