We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shoryudo Highway Bus Pass or Takayama-Hokuriku Area Pass?

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
150 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Shoryudo Highway Bus Pass or Takayama-Hokuriku Area Pass?

Hi guys!

I'd just like to get your opinion on which of these passes would be better for me. I am flying in from Central Japan Airport and plan to stay in Kanazawa, Takayama and Nagoya, respectively. Both passes cover all the major sites I want to hit (these three + Toyama), and cost the same at Y14,000 for 5 days.

Because I don't plan on going to Kyoto/Osaka (the advantage of the TH pass), it seems that Shoryudo is a better deal because it offers more nearby destinations I can fit into the itinerary, particularly Gujo-Hachiman and Matsumoto. HOWEVER, I have heard that trains are more convenient, does not *require* reservations, and arrive faster.

Is the difference between trains and highway buses in terms of convenience, timeliness, and reservations worth getting the TH Pass over the SHB Pass?

I am traveling with one other person mid-May, in case that has any bearing on my chances re reserving our seats.

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Kanazawa
Kanazawa
Ishikawa Prefecture, Japan
Takayama
Takayama
Gifu Prefecture, Japan
Nagoya
Nagoya
Aichi Prefecture, Japan
Toyama
Toyama
Toyama Prefecture, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Gujo
Gujo
Gifu Prefecture, Japan
Matsumoto
Matsumoto
Nagano Prefecture, Japan
1. Re: Shoryudo Highway Bus Pass or Takayama-Hokuriku Area Pass?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2018, 01:17