We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Limited time. Is this enough to go to Kyoto?

Gdynia, Poland
Level Contributor
393 posts
Save Topic
Limited time. Is this enough to go to Kyoto?

Hi,

I'll arrive to NGO Airport on the 28th of May at 9.05 am and my return flight from NGO is on the 30th of May at 2.50 pm. What do you think about going to Kyoto straight from the airport, staying there for two nights and returning straight to NGO Airport for the flight? Will I have enough time to see the most interesting places in Kyoto?

If this idea is worth of consideration, how would you recommend to travel from NGO to Kyoto, so I can be there as fast as possible? As far as I know, there two different means of public transport:

1) by train, first from the airport to Nagoya and then one of different types of trains to Kyoto, or

2) by bus, which goes directly from the airport to Kyoto with change in Kintetsu Yokkaichi (www.centrair.jp/en/whatsnew/kyoto_bus.html).

The first method seems to be faster, but also much more expensive, particularly if I choose Shinkansen. However, the second one might take not so much longer in total, under condition that I'm able to catch the bus at 10.30 am. Assuming that my plane arrives to NGO on time (9.05 am), do you think I'll be able to go through passport and customs control (I'll be with hand baggage only) and catch this bus? If not, the next one is at 12.30 and this is much too late to take such long bus trip (3 h 15 min) and it's much better to travel by train.

Thanks in advance for your advice :-)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Limited time. Is this enough to go to Kyoto?

Shinkansen is the fastest way to get to Kyoto from Nagoya, you'll get there in under an hour from Nagoya city (not NGO). Assuming you arrived on time, you would reach Kyoto by around 12pm, versus almost 2 pm on the bus. Most temples close by 5 so you'll be limited in what you can do on that day if you take the bus. I would personally just incur that cost to maximise my sightseeing time but of course that's up to you and your budget.

If you got to Kyoto by 12ish, you could do a half day in Higashiyama, spending the night exploring Gion and downtown Kyoto: japan-guide.com/e/e3950_higashiyama_half.html

If you go later, you can still do some of this area, I would probably go to Kodaiji first, then Kiyomizudera as it closes later.

Day 2 you can do Nijo Castle and Kinkakuji in the morning, and Arashiyama in the afternoon.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3918.html

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3908.html

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3912.html

On your last day you can visit Fushimi Inari early in the morning before going back to Nagoya: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3915.html

Gdynia, Poland
Level Contributor
393 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Limited time. Is this enough to go to Kyoto?

Thank you Simone! That is information I was hoping to get here :-)

Japan
Level Contributor
8,154 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Limited time. Is this enough to go to Kyoto?

If your flight is on time, the bus is not a bad potion.

I took JR local train between Nagoya and Kyoto (130-140 minutes, 2590yen), but I would not recommend it.

Gdynia, Poland
Level Contributor
393 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Limited time. Is this enough to go to Kyoto?

Hi again :-)

What would you say, if I stay in Nagoya instead? I'm quite sure that will return to Japan sooner or later for longer visit and then I could spend more time in Kyoto, not in such rush.

Assuming that I stay in Nagoya, are there any day trips you could recommend? I would be interested in natural or historical sights. Of course, I'll visit the Nagoya castle but I will need more places to fill up my time there.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,888 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Limited time. Is this enough to go to Kyoto?

jnto.go.jp/eng/…index.html

Gdynia, Poland
Level Contributor
393 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Limited time. Is this enough to go to Kyoto?

Great, thank you very much :-)

Is train the only way to get there by public transport from Nagoya or from NGO airport? Looking at the map I wonder, if there're any ferries?

Gdynia, Poland
Level Contributor
393 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Limited time. Is this enough to go to Kyoto?

I'm sorry but need to ask one more question.

Comparing with Kyoto, how more or less easy for walking around and reaching different places of interest is city of Ise?

My point is that I can get to Kyoto from Nagoya much quicker than to Ise (unfortunately, also for more money), so if Kyoto's places of interest are located in more compact area than in case of Ise, perhaps it's still better to head to Kyoto?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,888 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Limited time. Is this enough to go to Kyoto?

Nagoya to Kyoto is quicker than Nagoya to Ise, because it is more expensive high-speed railway service.

The point is, you need minimum 2 full days to see Kyoto Your Japan stay of this time will be occupied by temples and shrines. It that good ot not ? up to you. Ise is the holiest Shinto Shrine and need less than a full day. you can do/see something else too.

centrair.jp/en/to_and_from/access/ship.html

Edited: 22 January 2017, 12:01
Gdynia, Poland
Level Contributor
393 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Limited time. Is this enough to go to Kyoto?

Thank you once again. The fast ferry straight from (or to) the airport seems to be good alternative, at least one way. Now, I need only to find further connections from Tsu harbour to Isa. I think I'll manage to do it on my own but if you have ready link to proper website, it will help :-)

Gdynia, Poland
Level Contributor
393 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Limited time. Is this enough to go to Kyoto?

OK, I think I have found it:

tsu-airportline.co.jp/e/…pamphlet_170101.pdf

Is this the right information for me?