We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kurashiki in Sept

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Kurashiki in Sept

We have planned to go Kurashiki in Sept this year but looking at the flood now, is it better to cancel the trip? Seems like it is quite serious and the place would not recover in one month or two?

8 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
4,778 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Kurashiki in Sept

As far as I understand, Kurashiki's historic Bikan District and Ohara Museum are not reportedly affected. The western suburbs of Kurashiki City area along Takahashi River, namely Mabi-cho area, as well as its northern neighbor, Soja City, were affected by the flooding which occurred a couple of days ago (and you are coming in September).

Edited: 09 July 2018, 08:19
California
Level Contributor
4,386 posts
335 reviews
2. Re: Kurashiki in Sept

Regardless of natural disaster, one should be prepared to be flexible when traveling.....anywhere.

That being said, Japan generally is a pretty resilient place to tour.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Kurashiki in Sept

Really thank you for the information as we really looking forward to go to the Bikan historical area.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Kurashiki in Sept

I’m going to Kurashiki via Takamatsu self drive all the way to Hiroshima on the 25~30/7. Is it advice to do so after the flood ? Can someone provide me the latest situation of the road or highway access so I can plan my trip safely. Thank you in advance!

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
8,282 posts
549 reviews
5. Re: Kurashiki in Sept

September is a few months away so i would not worry about today's floods. We were there last September and really enjoyed walking through the historical area with its canals, museums, traditional houses and restaurants. I daresay the flood will just be a distant memory to the locals who live there.

Level Contributor
4,778 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: Kurashiki in Sept

The area that has seen one of the worst casualty, Mabi-cho, is in the north-western suburbs of the territorial area of Kurashiki City. It is tragic, but the historic Bikan District and the famed Ohara Museum are not affected, and should be welcoming tourists.

There would be charity boxes, and making a small personal donation would be a way to contribute to the general public. Staying at home does not make things better for you and other people.

Edited: 14 July 2018, 08:03
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
79 reviews
7. Re: Kurashiki in Sept

No reason to cancel as all the main tourist sites are not impacted.

1 post
8. Re: Kurashiki in Sept

Hi, I've just traveled Kurashiki Bikan historical area last weekend ,and they were opening as usual. The damaged area is very far from Bikan area so that Kurashiki city is very huge city. (Damaged area is only Mabi-district) Hotels and shops are crying because many tourist suddenly canceled their travel to Kurashiki. Please come and visit! thx.

Reply to: Kurashiki in Sept
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kurashiki