We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegetarian/vegan food in Kurashiki and Okayama

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
217 posts
67 reviews
Vegetarian/vegan food in Kurashiki and Okayama

Hi. My teenage daughter, who is a strict vegan, will visit Kurashiki and Okayama for 2 days in December, and I have been unable to find any vegetarian restaurant options in Kurashiki. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any type of restaurant would be fine, as long as they could cater for a vegan (my daughter speaks some Japanese, but I'm not sure she could explain a vegan diet very well in Japanese). Any suggestions (even Subway or something like that) that will get her through 2 days would be welcome. Thanks, Annie

6 replies to this topic
Kanagawa...
Level Contributor
4,001 posts
39 reviews
1. Re: Vegetarian/vegan food in Kurashiki and Okayama

Kurashiki

genki-ya(元気屋)

Please translate here.

tabelog.com/okayama/A3302/A330201/33000932/

Mill Crown(ミルクラウン)

https:/…303782636312031 ? fref = photo

Okayama

yasai syokudo koyama(やさい食堂こやま)

Here, seems to eat vegan cuisine if reserved.

Also contains the e-mail address below.

http://831580.com/

tabelog.com/okayama/A3301/A330101/33000982/

Edited: 21 November 2014, 20:22
Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
28,397 posts
69 reviews
2. Re: Vegetarian/vegan food in Kurashiki and Okayama

What do you mean by "vegan"? Does she eat milk and eggs? If not, she's going to have a tough time.

Also keep in mind that the vast majority of the Japanese don't understand the concept of vegetarian/vegan diet. Most of them think that as long as there is no visible meat, it's vegetarian. They don't usually think fish and fish broth, which is super common in Japanese diet, as non-vegetarian.

All restaurants suggested above serve fish, BTY.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
52 reviews
3. Re: Vegetarian/vegan food in Kurashiki and Okayama

In addition to above recommendations, there are apparently about 8-10 South-Asian (Indian/Pakistani/Nepalese) restaurants serving various dishes including vegetarian curry in and around the suburbs of Kurashiki and Okayama. You'd have to see their locations on map, but they could be a big help for vegetarians.

tabelog.com/okayama/…

tabelog.com/okayama/…

Please Google Map search also for "菜食主義" ("vegetarian") and "レストラン" (restaurant)".

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
217 posts
67 reviews
4. Re: Vegetarian/vegan food in Kurashiki and Okayama

Thanks for the quick replies. A vegan diet means no animal products at all, and I know what a challenge this can be in Japan - I lived there for a while, although many years ago, and even travelling with my daughter there a few years ago and trying to eat vegetarian not vegan was a challenge, especially with fish products and fish broth. It seems there are now a lot of vegetarian/vegan restaurants in Tokyo now (the Happy Cow website, which lists vegan restaurants around the world, says that Tokyo now has more vegan restaurants than any other city, which was a real surprise), and that's where my daughter will spend most of her time, apart from the few days in Okayama/Kurashiki. I'll check out the vegetarian restaurants suggested and see how it goes... Thanks again.

Kanagawa...
Level Contributor
4,001 posts
39 reviews
5. Re: Vegetarian/vegan food in Kurashiki and Okayama

I am happy cow was also already examined but, Okayama also did not also listed Kurashiki.

Now that you have a comment on another topic, please there to reference.

I found the shop by searching under the name vegan.

However, the shop is either not well understand that vegan, is part of the cooking vegan

It's like that.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
217 posts
67 reviews
6. Re: Vegetarian/vegan food in Kurashiki and Okayama

Thank you. I have read your comments on the other topic as well. Annie

Reply to: Vegetarian/vegan food in Kurashiki and Okayama
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kurashiki