We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tokyo- Hakone 2 -3 day trip. Need advice, pls.

Which Hakone-machi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Tokyo- Hakone 2 -3 day trip. Need advice, pls.

Hi,

My 13 yr old daughter and i are so excited about our trip to Tokyo with a possible side trip to Hakone. I am a little nervous about it. Can anyone help?

I've been reseraching and is it as straight forward as this:

1) Take the Odayu romance car straight into Hakone/Odawara? Then we will book our selves into a ryokan/hotel and drop our bags off. Are lots of ryokans/hotels concentrated near the train station/town? Are there taxis or some form of public transport or can we do alot of things on foot?

2) to sightsee: we buy the 2 day pass at the Odawara station where we got off and then that takes us through the "loop" where we can see Mt.Fuji, the pirate ship, stop by at the open air museum, etc??/

3) We don't intend to rent a car so can most sightseeing be done on foot or organised tours or public transport? We will only be there 2-3 days.

4) HOTEL/RYOKAN: can you please recommend a ryokan or hotel where we can get the Japanese Onsen and Kaiseki meal experience --- that's doable without a car? Maybe one that can come pick us up at the station? It's avery special trip so we don't mind splurging. The Hyatt Regency Hakone looks lovely but is that too "western" of an experience and too difficult to get to without a car?

Any advice and words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

B

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,019 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tokyo- Hakone 2 -3 day trip. Need advice, pls.

I've never stayed at a ryokan in Hakone, so I don't speak from experience, but lots of Trip Advisor readers have. Check the reviews here: tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g298171-Hakone_machi_… Click on the RYOKAN icon. If you click on the little Google map, it will open into a larger clickable one.

Also, check out japaneseguesthouses.com/db/hakone/index.htm Their reservation system is not at all straightforward, but the listings have photos, details on accommodations and facilities, and good access maps and directions. Note that some ryokan look like hotels from the outside, but may have very nice accommodations on the inside.

The ryokan are scattered around, but many are accessible by public transportation. I would certainly think you could drop your bags off, or you might plan to arrive in late afternoon, get settled in, and spend the next day sightseeing.

You will not need a car. You get see just about everything by train, bus, boat, cable-car...(just don't miss the last bus, with could be very early in the evening) I found the many transportation modes to be part of the fun. Each destination listed here: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5200.html has an Access section.

Getting there: yes, it is that easy. Check out the links here: japan-guide.com/e/e5200.html#jump_orientation If you take the Romance Car, it will take you all the way to Hakone Yumoto (listed as one word--HAKONEYUMOTO--here; http://www.hyperdia.com/ ), then you just follow the crowds to the little train to Gora, the cable car and ropeway to the lake, the pirate boat...) If you don't take the Romance Car, there's a simple train change at Odawara station.

The pass: If you're taking the Romance Car, or other Odakyu line train (lots cheaper than the Shinkansen) you'll buy the pass at Shinjuku Station, which will cover your train (you will still have to pay a surcharge for the Romance Car, but why not? It's a special trip). If you stay two nights, you will want the three-day pass.

Seeing Mt. Fuji: Visibility is often poor. Check the table at the bottom of this page for your odds: http://www.hakone-hotels.com/Fuji_Area.php

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tokyo- Hakone 2 -3 day trip. Need advice, pls.

Roger,

You are a gem.

Thank you so much. You've given me lots of research material! I think I'm more confident about making this trip with my daughter. I think we will head there early and spend one night. The prices for the places I'm looking at aren't for the faint of heart.

B

SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
Level Contributor
2,924 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tokyo- Hakone 2 -3 day trip. Need advice, pls.

I always ask this question re:onsen as the first timer is unfamiliar with different options.

1. Larger standard onsen bath by gender separation indoor or outdoor as all are au Natural, no clothes/swim suit option.

2. Private time reserved kashikiri onsen outdoor or often in-door and no extra charge or a little extra.

3. In-room bath, the smallest & often hot tub size and the most expensive.

4. Another option is a theme park where you can wear swim suites.

http://www.yunessun.com/english/

It appears you want a in-room kind & if your daughter is shy, try Ginyu or similar, if you can afford. japaneseguesthouses.com/db/…hakoneginyu.htm

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tokyo- Hakone 2 -3 day trip. Need advice, pls.

Thanks, Amazinga. I've got it covered. Thank you for the clarification. Good to know. I've always wanted one in our room, anyway. We're at the Hakone Hanaougi where we'll have a pte soak.:) It's a special mother-daughter trip and I'm treating her to this lovely place.

5. Re: Tokyo- Hakone 2 -3 day trip. Need advice, pls.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 18:15