We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation recommendations wanted for Tokyo.

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation recommendations wanted for Tokyo.

Hi, I'm planning a trip for our family of 5, youngest will be 15yrs. Have been trawling through all the options & am now totally confused & would just like some hints or tips from anyone that can help. Would like something central to Shibuya & if possible not more than $200 a night. Would also prefer to have a our own bathroom. Have found a few possibilities but am hoping for some personal recommendations.

Thanks.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,967 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation recommendations wanted for Tokyo.

1) Hotels in Tokyo mostly caters business travelers so it's a bit difficult to get a large room for 5 people, especially around Shibuya. You might consider getting 2 rooms.

2) All Japanese hotels for business travelers and tourists except for some budget end ryokans have a bathroom inside the room. A large common spa bath is an additional luxury.

3) $200 - is that Australian Dollars or US Dollars?

4) Hotel room prices depends on exact dates. You might search using Jalan and Rakuten hotel booking sites that are major in Japan, entering the exact dates and looking at the exact prices shown.

5) Tokyu Stay or Hotel Mets in Shin-Minamiguchi are good for value hotels next to the N'EX platforms, about 1-3 minutes from the New South Exit. You need to walk for perhaps 5-10 minutes to get to the popular stores in Shibuya, though.

Cheaper business hotels are available around Gotanda, (Keio Presso Inn etc). You need 2 rooms.

Edited: 28 February 2012, 07:17
Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,164 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation recommendations wanted for Tokyo.

A family of 5 in one room in Shibuya for $200/night is impossible. You'll have to increase your budget and book at least 2 rooms. Shibuya is expensive. You'll have better luck in Shinjuku, but $200 for 5 people is still too low. Look into Japanese style inns in Ueno and Asakusa if you cannot increase your budget.

Inexpensive business hotels such as the Tokyu Stay and Hotel Mets usually don't allow more than 2 persons in a room. Their rooms are way too small for 3.

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation recommendations wanted for Tokyo.

You might consider staying in the Citidines in Shinjuku. You could get two rooms, one for 3 people and one for 2 people. The rates are excellent, and are per room, not per person. There are kitchens in each room, so you would save some money by doing some of the food prep in your rooms.

www.citadines.com/japan/tokyo/shinjuku.html

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,164 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation recommendations wanted for Tokyo.

2 rooms at the Citadines would be way over $200 ASU/USD.

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation recommendations wanted for Tokyo.

Hmm.....the rates I saw were not outrageous, and not over $200 USD.

The Citadines system is "down" they say so they are not taking reservations online, and request an email inquiry. So I was looking at hotels.com, expedia, and Japanican.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation recommendations wanted for Tokyo.

Thanks everyone, I know I was being very hopeful that there may be a hotel that caters for more than 2 to a room. Thanks for your suggestions, I am also looking at holiday rentals, I guess my main concern will be that it is clean. We are not going until January so I have plenty of time to look. Just hoping somebody may know of a hidden gem somewhere that will fit all of us. Will increase the budget if we have to, just thought I would start from the bottom & go up.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,164 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation recommendations wanted for Tokyo.

You have to remember that lots of times the rates you see on booking sites don't include 5% tax and 10% service charge and the extra bed or sofa bed usage if you have 3 people in a room.

The lowest guaranteed rate by the Citadines on a weekday in March right now is 9,000 + 15%. So it's 10,350 yen per room plus 2,310 yen for the third person in one room. The sum of 23,010 yen/night. Much more than $200 USD (16,110 yen) and $200 ASU (17,399yen by today's exchange rates.)

The good thing is that the Yen is slowly going down :-)

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
23,164 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation recommendations wanted for Tokyo.

You don't have to worry about hotels being clean even if you stay at a budget hotel. Japanese people are anal about cleanliness :-)

9. Re: Accommodation recommendations wanted for Tokyo.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 17:41