We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Setouchi 2019 Question

Torquay, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
31 reviews
Setouchi 2019 Question

Hello Tripadvisor community, I hope that someone out there can assist me.

My husband and I will be in Japan early September 2019 and planned to visit Takamatsu and the nearby islands, including Naoshima, to view the permanent exhibitions, enjoy the scenery, island hop, etc. I now realise that the Setouchi Festival will be run in 2019 and we will actually be there outside the actual Setouchi 2019 Festival dates, i.e. between Summer & Autumn program.

I am wondering if we can still access the islands, view any exhibitions, etc during this time or will access be restricted? We really dont mind missing the Festival, as we never planned to attend in the first place.

Maybe we need to go elsewhere in Japan? Any help / thoughts will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

5 replies to this topic
Takamatsu, Japan
Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Setouchi 2019 Question

It's a shame that you'll miss the festival by just a few days, is there anyway you can reschedule in order to be in the area during the festival?

If you really can't, yes, of course you can access the islands any time. They are real places with real people living there, not just art venues.

As far as the art is concerned, it depends on what island you go to. On Naoshima, there is no difference between festival days or non-festival days, except a financial one (it's cheaper with the festival pass). However, they sometimes use the days in-between festival sessions to close some venues to clean them, make possible repairs, etc.

On Teshima and Inujima, some art venues will be open, but some may be closed.

On the other islands, art will probably be closed.

But keep in mind a few things. When I say that art will be closed, I mean indoor art - outdoor art is always available. Also, while there is no point in visiting islands like Naoshima or Inujima if you don't go see the art, some other islands (Teshima, Ogijima, Shodoshima) are wonderful places that must be visited, art or no art.

So in short, if you can reschedule to come during the festival, please do, you'll thank me later (the festival is a unique experience that should not be missed if one can attend). If you can't reschedule, come anyway, there is much more than just the art that those islands have to offer.

Torquay, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
31 reviews
2. Re: Setouchi 2019 Question

Thank you David B for such a prompt and detailed reply!

However, now we have some thinking to do - should we come earlier and experience the Setouchi Festival, or continue as planned.

Maybe I can ask one more question .....

Is it really busy and crowded and accommodation difficult to find in Takamatsu during the Festival?

Thanks again

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
7,511 posts
3. Re: Setouchi 2019 Question

We went for the festival in 2010 and fully enjoyed the experience. We too used Takamatsu as our base and went to Naoshima and Shodoshima. We looked up accommodation 3 months in advance and there were plenty to choose from. Unlike other festivals which are confined to just a couple of specific dates the Setouchi Festival back then spread out for more than 3 months which might be the reason that accommodation wasn’t that hard to come by.

Takamatsu, Japan
Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
4. Re: Setouchi 2019 Question

You're very welcome.

Concerning accommodation, I don't think you have much to worry about. If you come in August or September, it's not a very busy time, you should be fine (well, around August 15th is a busy time, but not past August 20)

The Autumn session tends to be a bit busier, but not to the point when all hotel rooms are booked.

However, make sure you don't book last minute, just in case.

Torquay, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
31 reviews
5. Re: Setouchi 2019 Question

Thanks everyone for your very helpful and informative responses. All we need to do is make a decision.....

Although we are now leaning towards being there for the Setouchi Festival!!

Reply to: Setouchi 2019 Question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Takamatsu