We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Tazawako to Hachimantai to Morioka

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Tazawako to Hachimantai to Morioka

I would like to travel from Tazawako to visit Hachimantai via Goshogake spa/nature trail and then to maybe visit another onsen (?which) before heading back to Hachimantai on 26th Sept and would like to do this by bus (to enjoy scenery).

1. Where can I find a local bus timetable (from Tazawako and Hachimantai), fares?

2. Can we do this all on one day if we left very early and returned to Morioka late?

Also I will be travelling to Hakodate from Aomori on Oct 1st - the price on limited express super hakucho is 5340yen with reserved seats. Do you think we will need to reserve seats at this time?

Thank you!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,371 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Tazawako to Hachimantai to Morioka

www.ugokotsu.co.jp/ug/rosen/jikoku/da08.pdf

田沢湖駅 is Tazawa-ko

後生掛溫泉 is Goshogake Onsen

八幡平 is Hachimantai Plateau

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Tazawako to Hachimantai to Morioka

Thank you William512 for quick reply.

I have a few follow up questions:

1) Is it quite easy to walk from Goshogake onsen to Toshichi onsen or is there a bus to link the 2?

2) How can I look at timetable from hachimantai plateau to towadako?

3) How can I find the prices for these bus trips? And from my research this bus company is not JR bus or 123bus, so what is the bus company name? I'm therefore assuming that these trips would not be included on a japan rail pass.

4) Would you recommend staying in aomori for more than 1 night? Am trying to arrange accommodation in asamushi (no vacancies) or minmaya (not sure if there's much to see)

Thank you for your help.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,371 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Tazawako to Hachimantai to Morioka

Toshichi Onsen is about 15 min walk downhill from the terminal bus station Hachimantai Chojo 八幡平頂上. To go to Goshogake Onsen, ride 2 stops on the bus bound for Tazawa-ko, the ride is about 25 min. (see the link I posted earlier). Walking may take a couple of hours.

The bus co. running the Tazawa-ko to Hachimantai Line is known as Ugokotsu Co. 羽後交通株式会社. Bus fare from Tazawa-ko JR station to Hachimantai Chojo is 1990 yen, 1790 yen for Goshogake Onsen. JR rail pass is not valid.

Bus between Morioka and Hachimantai Plateau:

iwatebus.or.jp/timetable/…tt_mori_25.html

盛岡駅東口 is Morioka JR station east exit, 八幡平頂上 is Hachimantai Chojo

I can’t find the bus schedule from Towada-ko to Hachimantai Plateau. All I know is that there are 2-3 daily runs: 2 hrs. 50 min, 2210 yen. Additional info. in the area can be found here:

jnto.go.jp/eng/location/rtg/pdf/pg-201.pdf

I manage to dig out this bus schedule that seems to have bus connection between Towada-ko and Hachimantai Plateau but with a transfer at JR Kazuna-Hanawa station 鹿角花輪駅. From Towada-ko to Kazuna-Hanawa: 8.30-9.51, 13.00-14.21, 16.20-17.41. From Kazuna-Hanawa to Hachimantai there is only one morning bus 8.00-9.18. From Hachimantai to Kazuna-Hanawa there is again only one bus 15.30-16.42. From Kazuna-Hanawa to Towada-ko: 7.00-8.21, 10.10-11.31, 14.50-16.11

http://www.oodate.or.jp/shuhoku/bus/

For Towada-ko itself, you can travel on JR bus from either Hachinohe or Aomori, though there are also connections from Morioka and Towada Minami. JR national rail pass is valid but not JR East pass.

http://www.jrbustohoku.co.jp/towada/

If you are going to Towada-ko, don’t miss out the scenic area of Oirase Stream. Oct. esp. the latter half is autumn foliage season there.

I’m not familiar with Asamushi and Minmaya, except that there is an aquarium in Asamushi. We stayed just one night in Aomori city after Towada-ko. We would have stayed longer if it wasn’t for the severe snow (we went Feb.). We couldn’t go for the Tsugaru ‘stove train’, nor the scenic JR Gono Line, but we did enjoy sightseeing in Aomori itself.

zurich
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Tazawako to Hachimantai to Morioka

Thanks a lot for the information! Very useful!! :-)

I hope I can find something similar about the Rikuchu-Kaigan Coast.

Thanks again!!

5. Re: Travel from Tazawako to Hachimantai to Morioka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2010, 01:20