We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help to choose

Brussels
3 posts
Please help to choose

I am desperate. I've been searching for the best hotel for our honeymoon for couple of months already and get more and more confused. I have read hundreds of reviews, but didn't get smarter. Now I have chosen several according to our budget which is around 4000 Euros for 12 nights not including the flights (booked already).

What we are looking for?

- water bungalow

- large sun deck

- jacuzzi on the deck (not necessary, but I've noticed that those have bigger sun decks). Actually - do you use jacuzzi if you have the ocean at your doorstep?

- modern interior

- privacy (that you don't feel and see your neighbours)

- preferably full board or all inclusive

- if not FB or AI, tasty food which is not too expensive (I guess the latter one that's not possible in Maldives)

- sea plane transfer (not the speed boat)

- good snorkeling (not the most important thing, but I believe that in Maldives snorkeling will be ok anywhere) We've been in in different parts of the world to snorkel and seen a lot, but my dream is to see a turtle and a ray.

Actually my favorite resort is Constance Halaveli, but it's beyond our budget :(

And here comes the options I have selected:

Veligandu

Mirihi

Meeru

Velassaru

Kuramathi

Kuredu

Hilton Iru Fushi

Please advise me which one is the best?!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,304 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Please help to choose

As Mirihi has long been top of my list of want to visit islands, that would be my personal choice. I don't think there are any jacuzzi's though....and having stayed in rooms with one - no we didn't use it!

Ian

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
15,471 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: Please help to choose

mirihi is by far your best choice of this group . you definitely don't need jacuzzi .

you will have to scrap meeru , velassaru and kuredu off your list for no or respectively poor snorkeling.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: Please help to choose

Kuredu and Meeru are great large islands. In fact Kuredu has been recognized as a recommended hotel by millions of travellers who shared their opinions on TripAdvisor.

Meeru is a 89% of travellers recommend it on TA also.

The snorkelling is average but you will see most things for a amateur.

As long as you know the islands are big which to you and I is small, you will be fine.

Oh and you defo will see a Turtle and a different Rays.

The wife and I loved them both and would return. All the best in your choice.

Edited: 05 April 2010, 09:38
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: Please help to choose

..................do you use jacuzzi if you have the ocean at your doorstep?......................

Missed this. It’s a bit like the question, do you use the pool. The truth is everyone is different. We don’t use the pool but love seating in the Jacuzzi at night with a few candles and a glass of wine or beer.

Many people say they hardly use it, which is fair.

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Please help to choose

Both Meeru & Kuredu have poor snorkeling as to the others mentioned, a jacuzzie dosent make up for it in my opinion.

Rumpole

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
25 reviews
6. Re: Please help to choose

............................"good snorkeling (not the most important thing, but I believe that in Maldives snorkeling will be ok anywhere"....................................

Correct.

Edited: 05 April 2010, 10:34
Brussels
3 posts
7. Re: Please help to choose

OK. Still reading and watching videos on youtube.

To choose from two: Veligandu or Mirihi?

Or... anything else you can suggest?

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,304 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: Please help to choose

As you can see from the varying opinions above "best" is very subjective..based on what you as an individual (or couple!) want. It seems that you have a preference for smaller islands if you are looking at Veligandu and Mirihi.

I've been to Veligandu, although it was several years ago and before the most recent refurb. At a guess I'd say the rooms are possibly now more "modern" at Veli, being as most are only a couple of years old / refurbished. Both islands are well thought of for quality of food - Veligandu will offer you AI, Mirihi will not. There is a lovely sandbank at one end of Veligandu, they have a pool, and a lot of the villas have a jacuzzi. I think the rooms have TV's, and they don't at Mirihi.

The snorkelling is ok at Veli, nothing more than that - Mirihi is reportedly much better, and I think it is fair to say you have more of a chance of encountering rays, turtles etc at Mirihi.

As well as youtube, have a look at

www.malediven.net/bilder

for photos from both the above, and many other resorts.

My vote is still Mirihi :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
25 reviews
9. Re: Please help to choose

...............................Small island....................................

Stick Komandoo as a possible or consideration then. Gets great awards.

If I had my honeymoon again I would pick a small island like the above.

http://www.komandoo.com/

Edited: 05 April 2010, 11:17
Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
15,471 posts
23 reviews
10. Re: Please help to choose

mirihi wins hands down . i have been to mirihi several times and going back this month .. been to komandoo once and not planning to return. nothing wrong with komandoo ... only that it costs almost as much as mirihi and can't keep up on several levels (snorkeling, diving, beaches, views, privacy, athmosphere) . but hex is right .. it does have a lot of loyal fans.

Get answers to your questions about North Ari Atoll