We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maayafushi

Ipswich Suffolk
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Maayafushi

What has happened to our paradise island? Now we cannot get a booking to it as all the english holiday companies have dropped the contracts? Thomson, Thomas Cook and Libra were all taking us, now they are not after this season???? Did we dirty our copybook?

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maayafushi

Maybe it's being closed for a ponce-up. It happens to them all eventually. And also regularly. Unfortunately. It's happening to Bathala and maybe nearby Maayafushi caught the makeover fever.

;-((

Shropshire
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Maayafushi

I visited Maayafushi in Nov/Dec last year and I know that a number of people on the island were unhappy with the standard of food and entrtainment. It is a beautiful island but let down by the fact that it really is geared up for italian tastes.

If you've never been to any other maldivian island then I supsect you would not have any complaints about Maayafushi but if you have stayed on other islands you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. Sorry to sound so negative, particularly if you love the island but I suspect that you'll find most tour operators will stop using it because of the standards and the fact that we actually pay more to visit Maayafushi than our italian and german counterparts.

I am going back to the Maldives this year but will be going to Meeru, this island truly is paradise and you would find it hard to complain about any aspect of a holiday on Meeru. If you can't book a holiday on Maayafushi then I suggest you try one of the other islands, Meeru is to be recommended and I have heard good things about Summer Island.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maayafushi

Meeru is pretty big, rooms aren't thatched and the reef doesn't look very nice. Also it's not a seaplane flight away and it's in the busy North Male atoll. It's not really comparable with Maaya. Just in case people think from your post that it's an alternative.

Shropshire
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Maayafushi

I'd have to disagree with your comments. I have been to both islands and Meeru is a very real alternative.

With regard to accommodation, I think the Meeru is far superior. Many of the rooms on Maayafushi are a standard room type in blocks of four, you can hear everything that goes in in adjoining rooms. Yes the rooms are thatched, but having said that the thatch was taken off our block on the second day to be replaced but never was! Whereas in Meeru, with the exception of a few standard rooms most of the rooms are detached land villas, jacuzzi land villas etc, They don't have thatched roofs but they are of a wooden construction (not breeze block as in Maayafushi) and blend in well with the surrounding area.

The reef is loveley with lots of see life in both resorts,

Meeru is bigger than Maayafushi but that doesn't mean that it feels crowded or that it's noisy, in fact I found it to be quieter than Maayafushi.

You can travel by sea plan to Meeru if you choose. I have done both sea plane (to Maayafushi) and speedboat to Meeru, overall I prefer the speedboat, i found the sea plane to be cramped, very noisy and in bad weather it can be very bumpy.

The one aspect that I feel can't be compared is the food, the food on Maayafushi was simply awful and rationed. Ofent the food left from breakfast would be included in the lunch and we were offered vegetable curry with scrambled egg and sprouts in it on more than one occasion. Baked beans were also added to the pizza and any pastries not eaten at breakfast were sent to the snack bar then sent back to the restaurant for lunch and so on. This doesn't happen on Meeru. Food and drink (bottled water is not included in the AI on Maayafushi) is an important part of the holiday, I actually lost weight when in Maayafushi because the food was so bad, and when I became ill I was then made to pay for bottled water!!! give me Meeru anyday.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maayafushi

You are welcome to it. I'm glad you love it. When I said they were not comparable I meant that they were not in any way similar. You have just confirmed that, in many ways, yet you said you disagreed. I have never experienced staying on Maaya, having just visited it on an island hop from Fesdu, so I have not eaten there or seen inside the rooms, and in any case it was a long time ago, but it was small, had a lovely reef, was away from busy North Male and had a seaplane transfer. I dislike Meeru's (and Komandoo's) wooden rooms as to me they resemble sheds. With 200+ rooms, some of which are like terraced British seaside beach huts, I think it looks pretty horrible.

Many of us prefer seaplanes no matter how cramped - I for one have had a couple of very uncomfortable speedboat transfers and I believe the seaplane to be a wonderful experience, not to be missed if at all possible on every visit.

Each to their own. Obviously SuffolkOutlaw loved it, despite what you said. IMO, if he/she loved Maaya he/she probably wouldn't love Meeru.

uk
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maayafushi

Unfortunatly there are no UK tour operators offering Maayafushi next season, we are due to go 5th november 2007 which we booked last october 2006 but as yet Thomas Cook say that we are still going, but not convinced that they are telling us the truth. I have been speaking to others and one of the reasons that the UK tour operators are not renewing thier contracts is money, apparently the Italians pay far more than us (1700 euros for one week) I checked it out on one of thier web sites. It looks like if you want to go next season you will have to book through one of thier tour operators. Thomas Cook, Thompson and others do not want to pay the higher costs but I am sure that if people really wanted to go they would be prepared to pay a bit more, I know I would. It has up until now been a realativly cheep island to visit. When we went in 2004 it was a great holiday I coundn't fault it, the staff are wonderful and helpful and I know that they are not happy that the UK contracts are not being renewed as we are the best at tipping. It is nothing to bo with the UK visitors it is the greedy tour operators!!!!

UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maayafushi

Hi

Myself and the wife are going to Maayafushi in Jan 08. What is this about no UK operators are going there. Does anyone know why??

We are abit worried and should we change island

Sutton
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Maayafushi

We are off to Maayafushi on the 8th October this year and we have been told that their contract runs out the beginning of Nov 07. All holidays are still being honered up to the beg of Nov 07.

Try this site, it has a lot of info regarding holidays for next year, if not try your tour operator again.

s2.excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=21551

9. Re: Maayafushi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 03:27
Get answers to your questions about North Male Atoll