We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Contadora Resort & Hotel ---> AWFUL!

Which Contadora Island hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, Ontario...
1 post
Save Topic
Hotel Contadora Resort & Hotel ---> AWFUL!

We had a TRULY AWFUL time there, we could hardly wait to get off that resort.

We wrote to the tour operator and the travel agent about it 3 months ago and they STILL haven't resolved the issue, they seem to totally ignore it.

Read more about our experience at this web site:

www.donebyalljobs.com/world_of_vacations

Kirkland, Washington
Level Contributor
378 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Contadora Resort & Hotel ---> AWFUL!

Well that was truly the vacation from Hell! I hope you write this in the TripAdvisor hotel review section as well. I must say, however, of all the hotels I've heard of and checked out for our trip, this was not one I ever even ran across. Now I'm wondering if the Hacienda del Mar resort on the same island is similar. I haven't seen any reviews of that. I hope you paid by credit card and have requested a refund from the credit card company. There's no excuse for this kind of experience. We had better accomodations and service and meals in the San Blas Islands from what you've described. I am so sorry your vacation had to end on such a bad note.

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,959 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Contadora Resort & Hotel ---> AWFUL!

The Contadora resort has been going down hill for many years, on Contadora a better choice might be Punta Galleon...

Hacienda del Mar is a superb resort on Isla San Jose - a different island...

Cheers,

Andrew

London, Canada
Level Contributor
926 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Contadora Resort & Hotel ---> AWFUL!

AllTraveller, I have also been to Panama (twice) and never even considered Contadora because of the horrible reviews. (Tripadvisor review pages are a great place to check on a resort before you book). Sorry to hear the Contadora resort seems to actually have gone down hill. We stayed at the Royal Decameron both times as you did and just loved it.

If you still have not received a reply from the tour operator you might want to consider a Small Claims Court action. That will usually get some action. Actually, they can't ignore you because if they do you will get full judgment against them. Often you will be offered coupons with a specific monetary value to be used towards a future vacation but don't think you have to accept the "opening offer" - they are usually prepared to go higher. Good luck!

Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Contadora Resort & Hotel ---> AWFUL!

Considering going to Contadora in May. Could you pls tell me more about your experience there and why you did not like the hotel ? Do you recommend another--Punta Galeon or the Hotel Contadora? How about snorkeling at Contadora---I heard there may be a lot of sharks ?

Thanks

Ted Bembenek

Toronto, ON
Level Contributor
20 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Contadora Resort & Hotel ---> AWFUL!

Well I love Contadora Island

Admittedly, the Hotel Contadora is a three star hotel that offers very basic services. It is not a fancy resort.

Your video does not show the drop dead gorgeous beaches (very few people use the pools) and does not explain that because of significant rains duiring rainy season the roofs have damage every year. You do not mention the excellent restarunts on the islands like Gerard's.

From the video it seems you had great weather.

The Punta Galeon does offer superior hotel services and so does the Hacienda del Mar

The snorkelling is excellent there is much fish life. One also has the opportunity to visit the beautiful Pearl Island shown in Survivor Pearl Islands

Lincoln, NE
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Contadora Resort & Hotel ---> AWFUL!

The outdoor amenities are fine there, but the rooms really need a lot of work. We were there to start snorkeling trips and to use the beach (all of them are public on Contadora), but really liked our services, amenities, and the staff at the B&B Conatdora Island Inn.

7. Re: Hotel Contadora Resort & Hotel ---> AWFUL!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 19:18
Get answers to your questions about Contadora Island