We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bike commuting between Boquete and Almirante

Which David hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Topic
Bike commuting between Boquete and Almirante

Hi, I will be traveling bike commuting from the south of Costa Rica to the western part of Panama, entering Panama through the Paso Canoas border. In Panama I'm planning to visit Volcán Barú and Boquete at least, however I was also considering to ride the bike to the caribbean side passing through Chiriquí, Almirante, Changinola and entering Costa Rica again through de Sixaola/Guabito border. In Sixaola I would take a bus back to San Jose (where I live).

I am planning to ride the bike in rural or paved roads that don't have much traffic (for my safety), however looking at the Panama highway maps I am not sure if it's possible to get from Boquete to Chiriqui/Almirante/Changinola using those kind of roads? I don't care if it takes a little bit longer.

Thanks

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
321 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bike commuting between Boquete and Almirante

This would not be a recommended mode of transport on these roads. Most roads here are just laid gravel, even the side roads. There are even sections of the main highway (just a two lane road really) that has such large dips and gullys if you were in a car and speeding you could easily become airborne. It is not a good idea to bike this route. It's 3-4 hours by car from Almirante to Boquete. About 5-6 by bus. Heaven only knows how long by bike. Take a bus, the scenery is actually lovely in between the two and you will want to enjoy it. You will need a guide for Volcan Baru (if you are planning to hike it). You can get guides in Boquete. There are three companies who do tours of that area.

What else do you plan to see around Boquete and when are you coming?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bike commuting between Boquete and Almirante

Thanks for your advises.

Gravel on the road wouldn't be a problem as I will be using a mountain bike, and I would cross from Gualaca to Chiriqui Grande, which is about 60km (6 hours by bike more or less). If I leave Gualaca at 7am I can reach Chiriqui Grande a 1pm I guess...

However I'm more worried about heavy trucks and fast cars, are there many of them on that road?

If there are many trucks on that road I may change the plans and go from Boquete to the Pacific instead, maybe the beaches around David and then to Punta Burica. I found some streets on Google Maps that can help me avoid the Panamericana Road going from David to Punta Burica, passing through La Pita Abajo, Las Tinajas, Divalá, La Esperanza, Palo Blanco. Is this really possible? I saw a banana plantation (Finca Fátima) that has a road that goes from Divalá to the other side of the river, I hope this is a public road.

In Boquete I want to do some hiking, i don't know to which specific places yet. I will be there during the last week of december.

Thanks again

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,910 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bike commuting between Boquete and Almirante

I have seen plenty of people doing it, check out a friends blog wishfish.org

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
321 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bike commuting between Boquete and Almirante

My recommendation would be to contact the following three companies and ask them about biking around here. They are locals and they know if they would do this or not - or even to tell you how to do it safely. They don't offer bike tours so that would be my first warning. But they will be honest if they think it is safe. That's the way I would go. Good luck.

www. boquetetreetrek.com

http://boqueteoutdooradventures.com/

http://www.hablayapanama.com/school/boquete/

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bike commuting between Boquete and Almirante

Thanks a lot!

Pittsburg, CA
Level Contributor
169 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bike commuting between Boquete and Almirante

I've seen couple of long distance bikers on the road from David to Changuinola.

There is only one highway from David to Changuinola. The road goes through the mountains (significant elevation change!) so no alternative ways. The entire traffic with trucks and buses goes there but since it is windy road the speed is somehow naturally limited.

7. Re: Bike commuting between Boquete and Almirante

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2013, 01:16