We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Valle de Anton Market & bartering

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
716 posts
56 reviews
El Valle de Anton Market & bartering

seems there is a great market on Sundays in El Valle de Anton...just wondering if bartering is an acceptable practice to Panamanian vendors...

LN
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
75 reviews
1. Re: El Valle de Anton Market & bartering

The goods there are very reasonable priced. Do you speak Spanish?

If so, you can try to haggle.

Atlanta, Georgia...
Destination Expert
for Colon, Isla Grande, Portobelo
Level Contributor
5,900 posts
24 reviews
2. Re: El Valle de Anton Market & bartering

In any of the markets, such as the artisan shops in Panama and the market in El Valle, bargaining is always acceptable. It used to be expected by the vendors. But, then gringo tourists changed that somewhat by just paying whatever the sticker said. The vendors realized that the gringos would pay anything and stopped bartering. This is especially true of the Kuna women and their molas. However, when you're buying more than one item, you can almost always barter for a discount.

Just don't do like my ex, many years ago. Our Panamanian friend told her to barter on the price of a small, pottery statuette at the El Valle market. She asked the vendor, "How much?" He told her, "Una." She replied, "No. Dos." She got her price.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
716 posts
56 reviews
3. Re: El Valle de Anton Market & bartering

your story is hilarious! I find bartering is kind of fun as long as you know when to make a deal. I always try and figure out what I would pay for soemthing if I saw it at home and then I go from there.

4. Re: El Valle de Anton Market & bartering

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2013, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Farallon
Recent Conversations