We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finger Lakes- where to stay?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
199 posts
16 reviews
Finger Lakes- where to stay?

Where would be a good area/city to stay in?

Many thanks!

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
34 reviews
1. Re: Finger Lakes- where to stay?

What do you want to do while there?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
199 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Finger Lakes- where to stay?

Well, we would like to do some hiking, canoeing or kayaking, shopping, go to some pubs....

We have friends that are staying in Auburn, so preferably somewhere closeby within 30 mins...?

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
11,543 posts
208 reviews
3. Re: Finger Lakes- where to stay?

To do everything you want in one area, I suggest Ithaca (37 miles away). There are three wonderful state parks (Taughannock, Buttermilk and Robert Treman) there and it is situated on a Finger Lake (Cayuga). There are also many great eating/drinking options there as well.

In Auburn, a pleasant walk on the pier at Emerson Park will give you a nice perspective of Owasco Lake.

A nice hiking option close to Auburn is Filmore Glan State Park (14 miles south in Moravia).

For shopping, the Waterloo Outlets are roughtly 20 miles west of Auburn.

Some pretty towns in the area are Skaneateles and Aurora. Skaneateles (6 miles east) has upscale shopping on its main street and wonderful views of its namesake lake.

Aurora has a grand old 4 star inn/restaurant right on Cayuga Lake.

Both Auburn and nearby Seneca Falls have alot of history and thus some great museums that are worth checking out. These include the Seward House, the Cady-Stanton House and the National Wonems Hall of Fame.

If you don't mind driving a bit to the places I described, Auburn makes the most affordable base.

Doylestown...
Level Contributor
1,247 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: Finger Lakes- where to stay?

We usually stay in Penn Yan, but it sounds a little out-of-the-way for what you want to do.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Finger Lakes- where to stay?

My wife and I are going to Keuka Lake, the Y-shaped one, for U.S. Labor Day. They have a thing there called Genundowa, wherein everyone along the entire lake has a bonfire, and you can see the shoreline for miles and miles. The tradition is also carried out on Seneca and Canandaigua Lakes.

It's still warm enough in early September for water sports, and you can hike too.

My field of expertise is NYC...just happened to see your query in the mix. I'm a "snow belt" native but happily live in an apartment in Manhattan, where I never need to shovel.

TourguideStan

6. Re: Finger Lakes- where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2009, 01:17
Get answers to your questions about Auburn