We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear!

Which St. Petersburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear!

We will be in St Petersburg for 2 days at the beginning of July. can anyone advise what the the weather will be likeand what to wear for the two day tour.

Thanks

Brenda

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,942 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear!

Nobody will be able to tell you the exact weather for these dates but it's very likely to be a shorts & t-shirt kind of weather.

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear!

Thank you for your reply...is it acceptable to walk around the city in shorts!

Brenda

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear!

There is no dress code for foreigners so shorts are not disallowed if that is what you are asking.

Local men do not wear shorts in the city but young girls do occasionally. No one is going to mistake you for a local no matter what you wear so don't worry about dress level, just be comfortable.

The city used to be rather formal, not long ago tennis shoes were not seen off of tennis courts but now, soft athletic style shoes are worn by a large minority of people who have adopted a European style casualness in dressing that is seen on college campuses in the west. The rest style try to be stylish like before.

It might be warm, in the low 80's F but also expect the change of rain and overcast cool weather as just as likely. My advise is usually to dress in light weight layers with one of them being water repellent in case of rain. Layers that you do not need can be stuffed in a day sack or fanny pack. Good broken-in walking shoes will be needed. It is a walking city.

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear!

Thank you ....that is most helpful.

Brenda

Alcester, United...
Level Contributor
487 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear!

I was in Moscow and St Petersburg in July a few years back and it was really warm - I recall that it did get a little bit colder in the evening.

Have a great time.

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear!

I am sure that we will..we are really looking forward to it.

Thanks to everyone for the help and advice

Brenda

Moscow
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to wear!

Oh, it is very difficult quastion, the whether can be very diferent. I think you should have a look in internet the whether in St-Petersburg before coming and decide then. It is ok to wear shorts, but it can be probleme if you want to enter in some of churches, in some of them the rules are strict and they can not allow you to enter, if your clothers will be too opened.

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to wear!

Thank you for the information, is it Ok to wear Jeans...ladies and men. I would never wear shorts in a city, I live in Spain and have been to all the large cities in Andalucia, I see holiday makers dressed totally inapropriately and I am always astonished that they do not feel uncomfortable walking around dressed like that.

Thanks again

Brenda

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,942 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to wear!

> is it Ok to wear Jeans...ladies and men

Ladies wearing jeans (or any kind of trousers for that matter) might not be allowed to enter some orthodox churches; but streetwise - perfectly ok.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
10,942 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to wear!

PS I suspect the word "streetwise" might be inappropriate here - what I meant was "as for the street - jeans are ok" ;)