We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadian/American Family Moving to Ek

1 post
Save Topic
Canadian/American Family Moving to Ek

Hi!!

We are a Canadian/American family who will be living in EK part time for the next 2 years !! We have a 4.5 year old and an 11 month old!! I am nervous because it is very hard to find any English friendly information, I've been looking for months trying to prepare as much as possible!!

Looking for any info that would be useful for English speaking family!! I'm in search of internal preschool? and English speaking nanny. I can't find a single one on care.com or any paid site I'm a member of!! Any kid friendly activities, for December are there Christmas festivals? Thank you!!

9 replies to this topic
Nittedal...
Level Contributor
261 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canadian/American Family Moving to Ek

what's wrong with learning russian? The kid will learn fast and yet speak english at home.

English speaking nanny will be very easy to find, in recent years english courses have been developing a lot in european part of Russia. You'll get english speaking students very easily.

I spend last summer in Yekat, stood there also in spring 2012, and there was a language school for english run by an american. Can't remember the name but should be easy to find. You can ask that kind of people about local possibilities.

There are also a british and an american consulates. These spies should have their own network for english-only services to their families. Maybe first places to ask.

By the way, if you are send there without a clue about russian, it's probably on some expat job and the employer should provide information?

Korolev, Russia
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canadian/American Family Moving to Ek

Try expat.ru site.

This is the place of hangouts of expats in Russia.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
3,299 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canadian/American Family Moving to Ek

Just a hint:

It's very unlikely that people in Yekaterinburg will appreciate being called anything like 'Ek' dwellers.

Tyumen, Russia
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Canadian/American Family Moving to Ek

I live in Tyumen, that’s 300 km from Ekaterinburg. Feel free to address if you need any assistance.

Lausanne...
Level Contributor
8 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canadian/American Family Moving to Ek

I suggest when you arrive go to the Ural State University and put an advert there for an English-speaking nanny. I am sure there will be plenty of students who would like to practice there English with you and get some extra money.

Lausanne...
Level Contributor
8 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canadian/American Family Moving to Ek

E-burg or Ekat dwellers would be just fine ;-)

Lausanne...
Level Contributor
8 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canadian/American Family Moving to Ek

We don't celebrate 24/25th of December but we really celebrate the New Year's Eve. And of course, a lot of kid events are organized for this time of the year.

1. For example on the 29th of December they will open an ice town on the main city square "Square of the year 1905". Kids love it there.

god2018.su/ledovyj-gorodok-ekaterinburg-2018…

There will be shows and dances organized. Of course, all of it will be in Russian. I don't know how comfortable you'd feel about it.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
770 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canadian/American Family Moving to Ek

The children will love it, you might take a while to adjust.

2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Canadian/American Family Moving to Ek

Hello! Are u still looking for help in Yekaterinburg?

Reply to: Canadian/American Family Moving to Ek
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted