We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scam at train station

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
scam at train station

there were many guys (wearing construction uniform) in the station and they kept telling me that they would showed me the platform when the train arrived. They then asked for 1000 RUB in return, and told me if I refused to pay they would brought me to the police. I was shaken and paid him 700 RUB in the end. My question is, can I trust the police in the station??

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,361 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: scam at train station

Of course you can trust the police - but do not think they can do a lot about it...

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
4,239 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: scam at train station

What language did those alleged construction workers speak?

Edited: 16 September 2016, 13:56
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: scam at train station

they spoke simple English.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
12,217 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: scam at train station

Looks like some new scam to me. Nowadays most construction workers in Russia are from Central Asia and can hardly speak coherent Russian, let alone simple English. Did you report the incident to the police?

Edited: 17 September 2016, 12:11
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: scam at train station

No, because I didn't know if they had any relation with police, and I was in hurry as the train was leaving in around 5 minutes ....... I was told that some police in Russia would take away tourists passports and asked for money, so when these guys said they would take me to the police, I backed off.

6. Re: scam at train station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2018, 01:18