We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mary, a great guide for Xi'an and surrounding area!

Louisiana
Level Contributor
56 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Mary, a great guide for Xi'an and surrounding area!

We hired Mary as our guide for our 4 days in Xi'an and were very glad we did! She is very knowledgeable and very personable. When we arrived late at night, we had trouble with the hotel so I sent Mary a WeChat message and she started trying to help us out of the terrible situation even though it was very late at night!

We took the city tour, went to the Terra Cotta Warriors, Huaquing Hot Springs Palace, Banpo Neolithic Village, Big Goose Pagoda, Shaanxi History Museum, Bell and Drum Towers, and Tang Dynasty show. We were scheduled to go on a day trip to Huashan Mountain but I hurt my back and we had to cancel the night before. She was very understanding and helpful in sending me to a good massage! We also scheduled her to drive us to the airport the day before we had to leave! I highly recommend her as a guide and driver! Thank you Mary, for making our trip so enjoyable!

Her contact information is:

maryguide@yeah.net

86 187 06848837(wechat ID)

3 replies to this topic
Calgary
Level Contributor
7 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mary, a great guide for Xi'an and surrounding area!

We cannot recommend Mary and her guide services for Xian. What a disappointing experience! We booked Mary over 5 months in advance for a two-day tour. The communication was good and we were excited about our once in a lifetime trip to Xian. The first day began well. Mary picked us up at our hotel on time and was very friendly. Her English is excellent and she is easy to understand.We went to theTerra Cotta warriors, the Hot springs Palace and Ban po ancient village. Entrance fees were extra. We were rushed through the sites, with Mary pacing ahead after brief explanations, as if she was in a hurry. There was little time to stop and "take in the moment unless we said something. After going through the Terra Cotta warriors, we were rushed past the building where the farmer who discovered the site was signing books and visiting. When asked what was in the building..the reply was nothing worth seeing! Luckily we stopped and wandered in. The tour finished abruptly at 2:30 with Mary saying she had to meet some other clients there and that a driver would take us back to the hotel. We were surprised the day ended so early but I assume it was because she wanted to double dip that day....not impressed. We paid 650 rmb ...I noted in a prior post that some paid as low as 350 rmb? The next day we came down to our hotel lobby expecting to be greeted by Mary. Mary did not show. Instead she had her "cousin" Nancy take us for the day. What a surprise. The agenda was created by Mary over 5 months ago as were confirmations of dates. The second day's agenda included visiting the only Chinese empress's mausoleum which is in a mountain. It ended up being a 2 hour hike up a mountain ( which Nancy was afraid to climb the last part) with a good view and good exercise but not much of interest ( and a steep entrance fee). Many locals just skipping the entrance and were walking in for free all along the climb :)

We then were to go to a communist village. This was a pure tourist trap and mini amusement park...There were lots of restaurants but little of interest other that massive crowds. Moreover, our driver got lost. We drove for over 1 hour and a half and finally he found it after having overshot it by 40 minutes. We spent most of the day in the car! Because of this, it was too late to see the third site scheduled for this day...which was the one we were most looking forward to. We just wanted to go back to the hotel after this disaster. Our guide Mary ditched us for the second day, her replacement knew very little about the sites and had NEVER been to the so-called "communist village." The fee for the second day was 750 rmb. We refused to pay the full amount as we did not see the third site and spent half of the day in the car, obviously lost at times. Mary had the nerve to try and bargain with us over an additional 50rmb at the end. To us she was in it solely for the money and could not care less about our experience. We had 2 other guides for our trip to China. They were both wonderful. I think Mary was more focused on her new car that providing a professional considerate and efficient trip for us. I am not sure where all the positive reviews came from, that was the basis by which we made our decision. So much for that. My recommendation..choose someone who cares about their clients and is not in it to make as much money as possible....as evidenced by leaving us abruptly at 2:30, overcharging us in comparison to other posts, and ditching us for the second day and providing us with a "so called" guide who was unqualified to tour us. I have never written such a scathing review before but Mary Guide service was a colossal disappointment and a rip-off of our valuable time. Buyer beware!

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
16 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mary, a great guide for Xi'an and surrounding area!

Thank you for sharing your experiences with the travel guides in Xi’an. ‘Over-glowing’ praises for a couple of travel guides as seen in the Xi’an forum... best to remain skeptical a little

Ogden,Utah
Level Contributor
1 post
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mary, a great guide for Xi'an and surrounding area!

June 2018 /We also were fortunate to hire Mary as our driver/ guide for a tour of Terra Cotta Warriors, Banpo Site, and Huaqing Palace. She is very responsive to emails or texts( she helped me with a WeChat account so we could communicate in China) and is completely fluent in English and her knowledge of the area is complete. Thank you Mary.

Reply to: Mary, a great guide for Xi'an and surrounding area!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Xi'an
Recent Conversations