We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want to buy mobile phone in Kuala Lumpur

Which Kuala Lumpur hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Delhi, India
12 posts
Save Topic
Want to buy mobile phone in Kuala Lumpur

Hey! I am from Delhi, India and would be going to KL in August...Whrere i can buy a nokia handset at best price in KL? Is there any website to check mobile phone prices in KL...

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
34,815 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Want to buy mobile phone in Kuala Lumpur

Hey, the Malaysian forum is a friendly place, pleases and thank yous go a long way when asking a question makes you seem less demanding and encourages us to offer our friendly help!

Electrical / Electronic goods - Buyer beware!

The global pricing of electrical items is pretty much the same the world round, allowing for VAT / GST/ tax. You will get a far better deal at home and on-line, or in the duty free of your home airport. Do your research.

Electronics / electrical goods / cameras / phones etc are no more cheaper in Malaysia than the rest of the world. If you go on one of the many cost comparison websites and put in the products you are looking for you will see what is on offer locally to you to suit your budget.

PLUS, the international guarantee you get when buying over seas is totally worthless when you get home. I mean totally worthless! The international guarantees are not worth the paper they are written on and you might as well not have one.

PLUS, buying overseas does not give you the protection of sale of goods law like you will have a home, so will not have any local law to protect you. Buying at home also gives you the peace of mind of having the full weight of the local consumer law to protect you and your purchase as well as having a good guarantee that ensures your rights. Buying overseas is fraught with a huge amount of gambles, the worse being that the product will not work and you have to pay to fix it and you do not have the support of local suppliers.

PLUS, if you do buy overseas you are likely to succeed the value of goods, which includes gifts, souvenirs, cameras, electronic equipment, leather goods, jewellery, watches and perfume concentrate, sporting goods, but excluding alcohol and cigarettes bought can be brought in from overseas, so should declare on your arrival back home and then you will have to pay VAT / GST. Of course you could risk not declaring.

PLUS you may need to buy another apdaptor to use / charge and you will also need to check the voltage.

It really is not worth it and will only equate to saving of a few dollars / pounds.

Sungei Wang has the best choice on phones - do your home work, know what you would pay at home, and know that it will work when you get home!

Adelaide
Level Contributor
207 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Want to buy mobile phone in Kuala Lumpur

Thank you Mitch

for your very informative writings. I have enjoyed reading your replies to various posts.

This reply was particurlarly useful to me because I have been thinking of buying a new digital camera in KL, but now I think I'll get it locally before I go from any of the Special Sales which run all the time.

KL, Malaysia
Level Contributor
143 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Want to buy mobile phone in Kuala Lumpur

If you're still keen on getting a mobile in KL, check out this website for prices, www.mobile88.com ; Note that there are 2 prices - one is the authorised seller price and the other is for an AP set, one which is parallely imported so forget about the international warranty on it.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Want to buy mobile phone in Kuala Lumpur

I wouldnt do it, my son bought an expensive ph (it wasnt out in Aust at the time) which was fine for the start but then couldnt get its upgrades (or something similar which apparently is very important) for some technological incompatability thing which is completely beyond me but rendered the phone useless to an 18yr old

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Want to buy mobile phone in Kuala Lumpur

Not when you're from India. I suspect electronic goods are still more expensive in India than the rest of the world? I was returning from Bangkok last week and at the airport I saw quite a few Indian nationals with 32" LCD TV , wonder how they will get through the customs?

6. Re: Want to buy mobile phone in Kuala Lumpur

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2011, 02:17