We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights from Singapore to Male

Sliema, Malta
Level Contributor
63 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Flights from Singapore to Male

Hi all,

I shall be staying in Singapore in April 2018 and would like to travel to Male/Maldives. The best flights I could find are SriLankan Airlines that stop in Colombo (Layover of 2 hours).

By any chance, does anyone have past experiences (positive/negative) with this airline? Or would you suggest any other alternatives instead?

It would be nice to know if there is an airport closer to Singapore which might have a direct flight from Singapore to Male. Also, since it requires a layover of 2 hours, are you required to get off the plane and pick up the luggage?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Male
Male
North Male Atoll
Colombo
Colombo
Western Province, Sri Lanka
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
3,492 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights from Singapore to Male

There are direct flights from SIN to Male. Singapore Airlines, Silk Airlines and Tiger Air.

Having said that we are travelling via Colombo this month as we used points on Emirates flight. I am waiting for confirmation if we have to collect and recheck our bags. However if you are ravelling all the way on Sri Lakan your bags will be checked through to Male so no problem.

We did not want to choose the Emirates flight to Male as it arrives late at night

Mentioned in this post
Male
Male
North Male Atoll
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Colombo
Colombo
Western Province, Sri Lanka
Perth Western...
Level Contributor
282 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights from Singapore to Male

I have a friend who works for Singapore Airlines here in Perth. She sent me some details on the flights from Singapore to Male a couple of weeks back.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, So basically Singapore Airlines still operates daily services from Singapore - Male at departure: 2045hrs arrival: 2210hrs

And on a Sunday & Monday we also operate a flight that departs Singapore at 1010hrs and arrives into Male at 1135hrs

The rest of the days Tuesday - Saturday the morning flight is operated by Silk Air, which is our Subsidiary airline. So yes it would mean no in-flight entertainment unless your bring your own tablet and they will give you an onboard wifi password to use the onboard entertainment system through your own device.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope that's a help to you.

Alan

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Male
Male
North Male Atoll
Sliema, Malta
Level Contributor
63 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights from Singapore to Male

Thanks for both your messages.

The flight times of Singapore Airlines seem to be good, however the prices for Tigerair are a little bit better. The concern is that the flights of Tigerair in April 2018 are either not available yet, or do not operate.

By any chance do you know if they will be available yet or if I need to wait longer?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
3,492 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights from Singapore to Male

Tiger flights for April should be available now but they don't operate every day.

Sliema, Malta
Level Contributor
63 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights from Singapore to Male

Just tried checking again for 1st April 2018 and nothing is available yet :(

They seem to arrive till Friday 23rd March 2018 till now. Hopefully they will be out / or updated some time soon.

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
282 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights from Singapore to Male

Hello Falz87,

Just a word of caution for you. Many of the really cheaper airline companies have a bad record of not flying on time, cancelling flights at the last minute, changing their schedules whenever they feel like it.

For me, I wouldn't want anything to put a flight to the Maldives at any risk. So, I wouldn't use airlines like, Scoot, Tiger, Air Asia etc as they are notorious for their frequent flight changes. It's happened to one of my daughters, and my son works at the international airport at my city and says it happens all the time with the low cost carriers.

Of course if the budget means they are the ones of choice you can chance your luck.

I hope I'm not coming across as being too negative, just trying to share what I've seen and been told.

Alan

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
282 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights from Singapore to Male

If you bought your tickets as part of your trip to singapore as an onward part to the Maldives, and return that may be a cheaper way to go. Just a thought.

Sliema, Malta
Level Contributor
63 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights from Singapore to Male

Thanks for the heads up Alan. I have not bought any of the tickets as yet.. and yes I agree, it would be a shame to have a delay on such a trip since I shall not be staying for a long time in Maldives.

Thanks again

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights from Singapore to Male

I took Tiger Air with the resort which was promotion from Expedia. It was last two years ago.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
3,492 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flights from Singapore to Male

Tiger flights in Australia are pretty bad but internationally they seem "OK" I would always go with a carrier that had a flight each day but its all about costs