We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 hrs at Male airport - suggest what to do

India
Level Contributor
89 posts
11 reviews
5 hrs at Male airport - suggest what to do

We will be in Maldives for a week and on the return the seaplane from my resort to airport is latest 3pm and it is a 40 minute seaplane transfer but my flight departs at 11pm.

This means I will reach the airport by 4pm.

Since my flight is at 11pm can I keep my bags or maybe if the airline counter check in is open early do a check in and go around the city. Also how much time will it take from airport to city and back and how should i go.

Thanks in advance.

6 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
209 posts
1. Re: 5 hrs at Male airport - suggest what to do

You can't get into the airport until three hours before your flight, so you won't be able to check in before 8pm at the very earliest. There is, however, a bag drop at the airport and for very reasonable prices so you can leave your luggage behind.

You can easily get to Male if that's of interest: the ferry leaves from the airport every 15 minutes and costs $1 per person per trip. It takes around 10 minutes.

I think a lot of people just decamp to the Hulhule Island Airport Hotel and pay to lie by their pool, or just eat in their restaurant.

There's also a lounge outside the airport where you can pay to stay at. I believe it's not that exciting but still may be a good option.

Woodend, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
201 reviews
2. Re: 5 hrs at Male airport - suggest what to do

Leave your bag at the luggage storage counter. Catch the ferry over to Male - 10 mins. Have a look around Male. Go somewhere like Hotel Jen (rooftop bar/restaurant/pool) for dinner and drinks (and it's right near where the ferry arrives/leaves) and then a ferry trip back to the airport. Duty free at the airport is not huge so don't count on spending too much time looking at the airport shops.

Bishops Stortford...
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
59 reviews
3. Re: 5 hrs at Male airport - suggest what to do

Does your resort have a lounge at the airport (seaplane terminal) if so some will open if guest have a long wait sometimes a small fee is associated with this. Alternatively, you may be able to buy access to one of the lounges at the airport.

Edited: 10 August 2018, 07:36
India
Level Contributor
89 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: 5 hrs at Male airport - suggest what to do

Hi..yes the resort has a lounge. We have decided to go to the city and then at the airport lounge.

Thanks

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
71 posts
30 reviews
5. Re: 5 hrs at Male airport - suggest what to do

There is left luggage room at the airport - $6 a day I think for normal sized luggage. Hop over to Male with the ferry directly out front from the airport. Cost is $1. You can contact Secret Paradise, a local travel agency run by a UK expat - they offer guided walking tours around Male.

Otherwise just catch the free shuttle bus to the Hulhule Hotel, which is 5 min drive from the airport. Here you can relax at their pool, and enjoy a drink and dinner.

India
Level Contributor
89 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: 5 hrs at Male airport - suggest what to do

Thanks for the info. We are back from our holiday and did exactly what has been suggested on this forum. Our hotel has a counter at the airport. So we left our luggage at the baggage counter 6usd per bag. Took the guided tour and then relaxed at the airport lounge for two hours.

Thanks to everyone for your valuable suggestions.

Reply to: 5 hrs at Male airport - suggest what to do
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Male
Recent Conversations