We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's it like

Amityville
Level Contributor
38 posts
12 reviews
What's it like

My husband and I and our two young girls (2 and 1 years old) are considering moving from Long Island to Apex, cary or Holly Springs. What are these areas like? Schools, shopping and what is a good hotle to stay in to check out the area? We would like a hotel that has a door on the bedroom so we can watch tv in another room. Or are there 2 bedrooms with a common area? Any advice would be helpful! Thanks!

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
1. Re: What's it like

You can't go wrong at any of the Homewood Suites in the area.

ny
Level Contributor
30 posts
2. Re: What's it like

Hi there, My family is also from LI. My husband just retired from NYPD. and we are planning to move next Aug. to Raleigh!! We have three teenager, one still in HS. the other two are going to college. We have made two trips down there so far and we LOVE it. Very clean, nice weather, friendly people and best of all Gorgeous-affordable homes!!!!!!!!

As a matter of fact, we stayed in Cary our first trip. Seen Apex, Cary and Holly Springs. The first two towns were alittle expensive but nice. I didnt care too much for holly Springs, undeveloped some places were run down and in the communities the houses were too close together... I hear the schools are better in Cary and Apex.

Then we went more North. Raleigh, Rolesville and wake forest. And we liked it better. I think I found the house of my dreams!!! We stayed at the Quality suites with my two sons. It have two seperate rooms, two TV's , frig, micro and most importantly a coffee maker:) Its on Capital blvd (rt1)

All the shopping you could handle...Tri-angle town shopping center...and the two story Crabtree Valley Mall- I think youll love it. Good luck and mabe Ill see ya in NC... Jeterfan37

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
80 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: What's it like

The Quality Inn on Capital Blvd. would be a good place to stay during your house hunting trip to Raleigh. When you drive north on Capital, you have easy access to the new developments on Durant Road (Falls Village, etc.) and Falls of the Neuse road. I-540 is close by and leads to even more development along Six Forks Road and Leesville Road.

Holly Springs and Fuquay-Varina more be more affordable, but every morning there is a line of cars on NC 55 and US 401 leading to Raleigh and Research Triangle Park. I imagine, however, it is nothing compared to Long Island.

As for schools, the Wake County Board of Education changes the school assignment maps just about on a yearly basis, so be prepared. Your house may be around the corner from a great school, but that does not mean that your children will attend that neighborhood school.

As for shopping, Triangle Town Center and Crabtree Valley Mall (the busiest mall in Raleigh) are both very nice, but do not forget about Streets of Southpoint in Durham only a short drive away. This mall has one of only two Nordstrom in our state.

Amityville
Level Contributor
38 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: What's it like

Thank you so much to everyone that replied to my post. I am a nervous wreck about leaving everyone and everything I have ever known. We love NY, we use the beaches, go to the city and my husband has sesaons to the Yankees, but it is just getting so expensive to stay here. The part that scares me about going is that my husband said that we could not come back if we left. I hope that if we go I will be able to meet people from NY. I have heard that alot of people from NY are going there. Does anyone know if there is a group or commmunity that are people from NY? Thanks again!

LINY
12 posts
5. Re: What's it like

We are from East Meadow and friends from Wantagh will be visiting the Cary.Apex/Holly region starting May 24th through the weekend. We have done extensive research to North Raleigh, East Raleigh and the Cary/Apex area. Please email me with any questions. Maybe we can help each other. Doug

dougpt10@optonline.net.

New York
6 posts
6. Re: What's it like

We're from Massapequa and heading to Apex for memorial Day weekend. We've been to Wake Forest and Cary and like Apex best. We're scared also, but ready to make the move. If anyone from LI wants to email me about their relocating experience, I'm at DRGeiger@optonline.net.

Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: What's it like

Good Lord! Everyone from LI is down here! And once you come down, chances are people you know will follow. ; )

I have never met anyone who regretted moving down here. I have friends from LI who moved down here about 14 years ago and they love it. And they still take trips up north to reconnect with friends.

The Cary Apex, Holly Springs, Fuquay areas are great and close to RTP. You can live on the east side of Raleigh too if you don't need as much easy access to the Park.

People who move down here from LI, especially if you have a home to sell up in NY, find that their quality of life is greater down here--not as crowded, you can afford more house/land for the money.

I agree with the reccommendation for Homewood Suites--they are located in nice areas. Stay away from the hotels in Cary on Walnut Street--not the nicest places. Not sure about the hotels in Apex, but although some of the areas where the hotels are are kind of industrial, it's safe.

There is a TownSuites by Marriott that's ok in Cary as well. Oh, with kids, I would also stay away from the Studio Plus in northern Cary.

As far looking for places to live, although I have a personal real estate agent, I will not post her info here--you can contact me personally if you want a recommendation.

For real estate websites, the one I find the easiest to use is www.hpw.com Easy to use and lots and lots of pictures. You can get an idea what kinds of houses and neighborhoods are down here.

BTW, I do not work for HPW nor do I know anyone who does. (My RE friend works for another company.) But, I love their website!

There are also places in Chatham Co that are like living in the country, too.

Good luck!

8. Re: What's it like

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Apex