We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family's Trip-Explore Raleigh/D/CH for Relocation Potential

New Haven...
6 posts
Family's Trip-Explore Raleigh/D/CH for Relocation Potential

Hello all.

We are a family of four- two kids in elementary school. I am a stay at home mom and husband is a software engineer. We live in CT and have for a while been considering moving farther south.

Although my husband probably could, I don't think I could handle the weather in Florida year-round. I think the extremely hot and humid 'summer' weather- which it sounds like lasts way too long there- would be just too much for me. I have looked into somewhat (but not yet visited) parts of Virginia, South Carolina, and North Carolina.

There are towns in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area that are sounding so great for families.. and this area may be one of the best bets in NC as far as employment opportunities for my husband.

Hopefully our family will soon be able to plan our first trip to NC. I am hoping that we will combine some vaca time with primarily time exploring areas where we might like to relocate.

The trip isn't scheduled yet, and I am not sure what time of year we will go, but I'm leaning towards going in the summer, to see what summer feels like down there :). And I don't know yet how long we'll have for this first trip, but for now I'll guess it may be a week...?

I'd say what we're mainly looking for a single-family home, preferably not more than $400,000... in a town that is safe, has good schools, is family-oriented, has plenty of indoor and outdoor stuff to do -for both kids and adults- in town or nearby, as well as nearby shopping, dining..

I'd love to hear from folks their recommendations on where to go and what to see, (and even where to avoid) in order to explore the area for its relocation potential for us.

Thanks very much!

6 replies to this topic
Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
60 posts
42 reviews
1. Re: Family's Trip-Explore Raleigh/D/CH for Relocation Potential

You have lots of options around the Research Triangle Park for jobs for your hubby. as far as where to live, part depends on how much of a drive he wants. schools are good in lots of areas including Apex, Cary, Holly Springs, Morrisville, Brier Creek area (Raleigh). All would be anywhere from 10-45 minutes into RTP for work on "normal"days.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
7,387 posts
173 reviews
2. Re: Family's Trip-Explore Raleigh/D/CH for Relocation Potential

If possible, go for your 1st trip in May. It gives you a better idea of schools, climate, etc. The reason for this is: schools finish relatively earlier than in CT, I think, & the last two weeks are mainly exams, day trips, etc., so visiting a school & explore all the things connected with elementary school kids will be easier in May. Also, houses for sale, etc. May weather is a good indication of hotter weather to come... I am not sure whether you are also considering areas around Charlotte, if so, check Citydata websites of: Mathews, Wesley Chapel, Weddington, NC, areas around Blakeney/Ardrey Kell in South Charlotte, as well as Fort Mill, Rock Hill, Lancaster, SC. Good job opportunities in Ballantyne Area.

School Year: ncpublicschools.org/fbs/accounting/calendar/

ucps.k12.nc.us/communications/calendars.php

www.fort-mill.k12.sc.us/pd/FMSD4/index.html

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
76 posts
122 reviews
3. Re: Family's Trip-Explore Raleigh/D/CH for Relocation Potential

Agree with all the of the recommendations given thus far. We lived in Apex for 5 years and really liked it. Good schools, good community, traffic not so good but on our last trip back last year we saw major road improvements. Cary, Holly Springs were also good areas to be in. We have now been in Charlotte for 4 years and like it as well, probably a bit more than the Raleigh area. Again, good schools, good community, traffic not so good but expansions to I-485 will help a bit. I like Sophie's idea of visiting in May while everyone is still in school. I would also suggest picking a school in a town you think you might be interested in and setting up a tour while school is in session. Most schools are happy to accommodate this and it will give you an idea of the students attending the school, teachers in action, and overall feel of the school.

Staten Island, New...
1 post
1 review
4. Re: Family's Trip-Explore Raleigh/D/CH for Relocation Potential

Hi. I just came across your post while doing some research for similar reasons to yours. Can you tell me if you did make the trip to North Carolina and what was your experience? We are planning to go in February to check things out ourselves. I'm really interested to know if you decided to relocate there, and why or why not.

Thanks!

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,838 posts
39 reviews
5. Re: Family's Trip-Explore Raleigh/D/CH for Relocation Potential

Gerri, I'm surprised this post didn't get locked down since it's more of a relocation post, but I guess it did have an element of vacation travel to it. Most of the relocation posts are better served on the city-data.com forums, city-data.com/forum/… .

Apex, North Carolina
Level Contributor
3 posts
664 reviews
6. Re: Family's Trip-Explore Raleigh/D/CH for Relocation Potential

Hi. We live in Apex NC and it was voted the #1 place in the US by money magazine. I live near Laurel Park Elementary School in Ellington Place. There is a Town park right next to us and the school, walking distance. It is very safe hear and our area offers everything you can think of. Costco is down the street as well as a shopping center. We are 20 minutes from Raleigh, 30 minutes from Durham and 35 minutes from Chapel Hill. There are parks, malls and shopping everywhere. There are hundreds of miles of walking and biking trails. There are great local and chain restaurants all over the place. Our community has a couple of houses available at around $320K -$340K and home s sell very fast here. This is a great place for adults and kids.

Edited: 12 September 2016, 14:54
Reply to: Family's Trip-Explore Raleigh/D/CH for Relocation Potential
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Apex